Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Air Pressure indicator light

Huckleberry Finn

Any tips to shut one of these stupid things off?

Tire pressure is fine. Light went on when it was super cold and is still on. Tire pressure is still fine.

Bells and whistles are a pain in the ass.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well placed piece of electrical tape...
Lmao. Awesome suggestion ^^^.

Steve are you sure your gauge you're double-checking with is accurate? Those cheapy spring loaded gauges are often times better suited as a paper weight than a pressure gauge. And those electronic sensors are usually very sensitive... Often times signaling a warning at a loss of only 2 or 3 psi.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just had the same thing happen when it was really cold too. I kept messing with checking the pressure with no luck. I ended up taking it to the dealership & they reset the damn thing. They said something where they had to go to each tire. I in fact had the tired turned a few weeks before this happened, so I dunno how much the cold actually had a play in this.

Huckleberry Finn

It's her fing Nissan...I know what they say about a gift horse but it's a pain in the ass. I will try those suggestions.

Jager I couldn't find my guage so I bought an El chemo and a nice guage one...both read the same. AND one of the fancy air pumps I used at a gas station had a guage in it.

I like the duct tape idea and just buy myself an air compressor and call it even!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
We just bought an 06 explorer a couple months ago and the warning panel keeps saying low tire pressure and window fluid, neither are low.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
$60-100 on a nice jump starter box with built in light and air compressor is not a bad investment Huck. I like the tape idea as well. Not sure I own a vehicle new enough or fancy enough to have one of these. If I do, then I am guessing they don't work at all. haha

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Common issue. Most common that the tire is not properly inflated compared to the door jamb sticker. Do not go off the tire, as previous owners may have swapped a different tire type which will require a different pressure range, but never changed the programming on the car.

Typically they do not go off unless you are 10psi below the cold psi stated on the door jamb sticker.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Unless someone changed or removed the stock valve stem cap, some makes use the cap and if you change them it'll set off the light as well.......... Had a buddy with a chevy P/U do it a while ago, he put different caps on it and complained his light wouldn't go out....

Huckleberry Finn

Unless someone changed or removed the stock valve stem cap, some makes use the cap and if you change them it'll set off the light as well.......... Had a buddy with a chevy P/U do it a while ago, he put different caps on it and complained his light wouldn't go out....

Are you saying that the cap from the right front wheel can't go on the left front wheel, or do you mean the valve stems/sensors?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The caps or actual valve stems on certain models have some kind of sensor and if they aren't working or were replaced by someone who didn't know it won't be able too read air press at that tire from my understanding.... That's how it was explained too me by the owner........

Huckleberry Finn

Still dragging my feet on this...got around to calling a few places this morning. Looks like I'm going to do a "free" dealership diagnostic and then likely have whatever needed done by this no-bullshit place I found last summer. Dealership quoted me at $250 a tire for replacement of the sensor...I asked if a free tire came with that too...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I am not sure about your Nissan but I am getting them removed from my caddy. They are the stupidest thing in the world and a pain in the ass. I have one that is out and one that will report zero and then all of a sudden be fine. From reading around on the forums if all four are removed from the tire it deactivates the system.

They should only cost you about 35 bucks on eBay if you wanted to replace them. Then just take them to uncle Jim Bob's tire shop to have them installed