Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

In need of suggestions

teej89

NE PA
I am cooking some venison for a friend cuz she's never had it before. I don't have a grill at my place and most of my recipes are on the grill, except for when I use the ground meat. So i'm looking for recipe suggestions with either a roast or chops that I could cook in a slow cooker or in the oven.

Thanks in advance!
T.J.

Jamie

Ohio
how about on the stove top? is less messy to do this outside, but can be done indoors just the same. might be my favorite venison recipe. will surely impress anyone who likes to eat.

Blackened Venison Loin

McCormick brand Seasoned Pepper Blend
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Lawry’s Seasoned Salt (or other brand that has sugar in it)

For dinner for two, prepare a piece of back strap about 8” long or approximately 1/3 of a whole loin. Allow meat to come to room temp and thoroughly pat it dry prior to seasoning and cooking.

Liberally coat every surface of the meat with the seasoned pepper blend. It will almost look like you breaded it.
Apply a light coating of Onion powder next, over the entire surface.
Follow that with Garlic powder, applied in the same manner as the onion powder.
To finish, apply a liberal coat of Seasoned Salt. Coating every surface again.

Heat about 1/16" of olive oil in a 10” or 12” heavy cast iron skillet until you get some smoke coming off of it. You want the meat to sizzle when it goes in. It isnt a bad idea to do this outside on the grill side burner, since it will splatter quite a bit.
When the oil smokes, place the meat in the pan and check the time. I go 4 minutes, without moving the meat. After 4 minutes, flip the meat over and go another 4 minutes. If you have the pan hot enough, you will have a nice, black crust on the meat where it touched the pan and be medium rare to rare in the center, which is perfect. Pull the meat out of the pan and set aside to rest.

Lower the heat a little bit and de-glaze the pan with some red wine and low sodium soy sauce; About ¼ to ½ cup of each depending on your taste. (I actually do 1/4 cup soy sauce and 1/2 cup wine, reduce by 1/2 or a bit more.) I suggest using a good Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinot Noir that you already enjoy, drink remainder of bottle while cooking and eating. :smile:Scrape pan to remove all the yum-yums stuck to the bottom. Let the sauce reduce by about ½ and remove from the heat.

After resting, while you deglaze pan and reduce the dipping sauce/au jus, slice meat into ¼” thick medallions and serve. I like to use the wine reduction as a dipping sauce served on the side, but you could just float the venison medallions in it if you wanted. Magnificent with mashed Yukon Golds and grilled Romaine hearts with Caesar salad dressing.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Brown your chops with flour and butter in a skillet. Then layer in a crock pot with a little water, cream of mushroom ,soup or cream of chicken, or both and throw some canned mushrooms on top with the juice . Cook slow for a few hrs till the chops fall apart. Make some mashed taters and some dinner roles and it doesn't get much better eating then that.

Huckleberry Finn

Is she hot? How about chili or tacos...those are my easy favorites. Can't beat Jesse's tenderloins on the grill, done that a few times for folks new to venison. All downhill from there though!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Brown your chops with flour and butter in a skillet. Then layer in a crock pot with a little water, cream of mushroom ,soup or cream of chicken, or both and throw some canned mushrooms on top with the juice . Cook slow for a few hrs till the chops fall apart. Make some mashed taters and some dinner roles and it doesn't get much better eating then that.
Do this ^^^. Easy, delicious, and nearly impossible to screw up. Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think the deer roast in the crock pot my wife cooks is tough to beat and you can't tell it is deer. I don't know how she prepares it. I kill it, butcher, package, and put in the freezer. My work is done at this point.

My only venison recipe. Actually, it is my only recipe. Marinate in italian dressing for 24hrs. Pull out the George Foreman grill. Plug it in. Place loins or backstraps on there. Wait for the steam to start coming out. Check for preferred amount of pink in the middle. Remove. This is great if you like rare or med rare. If you like zero pink in the middle, they turn into hockey pucks on the George Foreman grill. The key to these is having your 13yr old daughter make all the other stuff. Dinner rolls, green beans, and salad. (I would screw those up.) When she is almost done, I throw the meat on. Doesn't taste as good if it isn't piping hot off the grill for some reason. I have found these go best with Yeungling. I don't drink wine, but Yeungling seems to work well with these. I can loan my daughter out to prep some green beans for you if it helps. lmao

Can you tell I don't know how to cook?

teej89

NE PA
Ah man Jamie that sounds awesome! I think I'm gonna do that. But I had the backstrapa in chops but I can modify it. She's kinda a health focused person so other than the oil Im sure she'd like it.

Phil do you have your wife's roast recipe/would you be able to share it?? I'm working long hors this week so a roast may be the easiest for me.

Jamie

Ohio
I package all of my loins in whole chunks, thirds usually. can always cut them into chops later on. you probably won't be able to get them blackened properly without over cooking them as chops. suggest going just a little easier on the seasoning and making sure you have skillet really hot. cutting cooking time down to 2 minutes or so per side should produce medium doneness and still give you some decent browning.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Jamie had no business being as skinny as he is the way he cooks... Dude is too notch on food man. Jamie couldn't half ass a hamburger if he had too.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
Jamie had no business being as skinny as he is the way he cooks... Dude is too notch on food man. Jamie couldn't half add a hamburger if he had too.

Hahaha!!!

Any other suggestions Jamie? I see what your saying it won't really produce the crust without over cooking it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
for newbies i like to use inner loins because the practically chew themselves.... after you get them hooked there is game over ...

Jamie

Ohio
marinating venison loins or tenderloins is not something I do. I like the taste of venison, and when I'm grilling loin chops, whole tenderloins or boneless round steaks I usually only brush them with olive oil, season them with salt and pepper or seasoned pepper and that's it. sear them on a super hot fire 2-3 minutes per side, depending on thickness. I mostly cut them into 3/4-1" thick butterflied chops. only way to eat grilled venison is rare or medium rare, imo.

disclaimer: Milo's flattering testimony might be slightly exaggerated. I could surely half-ass a burger if I had to.:smile:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I agree with Jamie. No marinade or slow cooker for me.

Simple seasoning with a sear is what I usually do.

My favorite is to:

Make a bacon weave and set aside. (YouTube will show you how).

Cut the backstrap the size of your bacon weave. I season with salt, pepper, garlic, onion and a touch of cumin.

Wrap the tenderloin in the bacon weave. I season the bacon weave with course ground pepper. Smoke or grill at a low temp (I do around 250) until the the internal temp is 135. Usually around 1.5 hours.

Sometimes at around an internal temp of 120 I put on a sauce consisting of:

1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Molasses
1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
2 TBPS Brown Sugar
2 TBPS Honey
4 gloves minced Garlic
1 TSP of ground ginger
2 TBPS Sesame Oil
1 TBPS Sesame Seed
3 Green Onions finely chopped
1 Jalapeno Pepper - finely diced

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
A word on slow cookers...

They usually don't do your food any justice. The low setting is too high for most cuts of meat for the amount of time most people leave the food on.

I recommend using the oven and lower temps instead of the crock pot. That is why most pot roasts come out good but dry (meat).

Bag it and put it in the oven instead.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member

I do this but add a pack of liptons onion soup mix too it as well. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes. I also agree on the grilling methods here. It is really important to brush with olive oil to hold in moisture. I don't cook mine past Med Rare. If you have to use a pan, then chunk up some loin in cubes and sear in a pan with a little olive oil on med high heat until they are seared all around. Then toss in some halved button mushrooms and some sliced onion. Throw in some salt and pepper to taste and just cook until onions become a little transleuscant. Serve with a baked potato

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have one of those wired thermometers and it works great for grilling. I throw loins and straps on a medium heat grill (indirect coals) and shut the lid. When the thermometer shows internal meat temp hits 150-degrees I pull them off to rest for a few minutes. The end result never disappoints.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have one of those wired thermometers and it works great for grilling. I throw loins and straps on a medium heat grill (indirect coals) and shut the lid. When the thermometer shows internal meat temp hits 150-degrees I pull them off to rest for a few minutes. The end result never disappoints.

150! That's blasphemy. Lol

135 is a good medium rare.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1421773767.358526.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1421773767.358526.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 200