Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Modern bluegrass? Rock and roll bluegrass? Newgrass?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I LOVE Old Crow Medicine Show. Not the Hootie and the Blowfish rendition of Wagon Wheel. Anything else of theirs I will wear out the CD. I have been looking for something new. Similar sound is what I am looking for. Thought you guys might have some suggestions.

So far I have tried out CD's of: The Hackensaw Boys (two huge thumbs up), The Devil Makes Three (not bad), Punch Brothers (eh, ok), Avett Bros (bit too slow and not as blue grassy to me).

Been hitting iHeart radio on the internet to find similar. Not a lot out there. Hank III has some rock/bluegrass sounding stuff. Sounds like his grandpa with a lot of drugs added and a Black Flag punk sound to it. Trampled by Turtles has my interest but I want to hear some more before I buy a CD. Most of their band has more of a rock/heavy metal background. Only been playing bluegrass the last 10yrs or so. The Carolina Chocolate Drops is one group I want to hear more of before I make a decision. Not prejudice, just a little weird seeing a black group play bluegrass. Good sound so far from what I hear. The Steel Drivers are another one I need to hear more of before I spend money on their CD. My wife likes Mumford and Son. I don't care for them as much. Avett Bros have a similar sound. Nice soothing music. A bit slow. Not as twangy. Almost more of an Irish folk sound to them in my opinion.

Any other suggestions for a faster sounding bluegrass group? Surely some of you guys have similar tastes?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Has a little Jamey Johnson style to him or maybe some Waylon even. Bit of old school outlaw country sound. His pictures look like a Civil War General. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is a video of Trampled by Turtles. Kind of like bluegrass on crack. I like it.

[video=youtube_share;Xjdkc14-zwQ]http://youtu.be/Xjdkc14-zwQ[/video]

I like the steel drivers. The group Cherry holmes is pretty good as well. Ive been listening to a lot of canadian folk music mostly stan rogers here lately. Some of Sam bush's stuff i care for but there are a lot of his songs i dont like. I like Corb lund a lot and will probably make a trip up to Vancouver to see one of his shows in the next year or so.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
When i think blue grass i like the old Ricky Scaggs and Bill Monroe stuff but Hank III is good also. I like the way he sounds like Hank Sr.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I will have to turn on my bluegrass Pandora Dustyn and write some down for you.

Yonder mountain string band

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sturgil is awesome. He was on Joe Rogan's podcast and that's how I got hooked.

Honeyhoney Band is great, although they don't fit any certain category. Suzanne is from Cleveland. They have a bluegrass, country feel.

Honeyhoney - Angel of Death (Official Music Video): http://youtu.be/UcaKzBC5RJM

Yonder Mountain String Band is also one of my favs. I like Ricky Skaggs, Bill Monroe and a lot of the classics. My Pandora station is pretty well trained, so I can pay more attention to some of my favorite songs and pass them on. Sunday is always the day I jam to bluegrass.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks fellas. Enjoy the old stuff too. I have Bill Monroe, Allison Krause, Ricky Skaggs moments. Currently liking the more upbeat sound. I will check out some of your suggestions when I am done working today. Duty calls.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Time for an update. Like anything, my music tastes move around. Often times I am back to the roots and listening to Skynard, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Jimi, or classic rock. Sometimes I am drawn to older country, what I consider "country music". Times like these I end up online listening to The Hank (or is it Hank FM?). Keith Whitley, George Strait, Randy Travis, Confederate Railroad pops up on occasion. . . .

Seems around the holidays I find myself exploring and looking for a change of pace or at least some different versions of what I like. Last year I bought a Sturgill Simpson CD. After receiving it I bought another, along with Chris Stapleton, some more Steel Drivers, and another Trampled By Turtles CD. This year my daughter bought me the new Metallica CD. Like I said, I tend to jump around. Metallica's S&M CD is one of my all time favorites. They play with the orchestra and it is amazing. Another go to CD to mix it up is No Quarter with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Back on track here. . . .What I have heard of the new Metallica I am definitely liking. Only one Christmas gathering to go and there is no gift exchange so I figure there will be no more new CDs coming my way. I ordered a few more tonight.

Sturgill's new CD is on the way. Whitey Morgan and the 78s is one I have listened to samples on Amazon but yet to order. I ordered their latest disc. Since Cotty tends to throw their name out often (and I love the mix he spins at Mingo every year), I ordered Blackberry Smoke. I have always pushed Aaron Lewis off to the side as I felt he was a wannabe country singer. The more I hear him, the more I get sucked in. I believe he is genuine. The real deal. I ordered his latest CD, titled "Sinners". Why hold it against him because he gets a bit of mainstream play? I think I have been handicapping myself by not giving him a chance. I have enjoyed all the hits he has which made it on the charts. Sampling this CD makes me think it will end up being one of my favorites. The last one I ordered is one I am unsure about. Jason Isbel is the artist. Not sure he will end up being a repeat but he appears to be quite a talented musician. Does a lot of his (if not all) own song writing. Some of the reviews stated he will be along the lines of Chris Stapleton in regards to mainstream asking "Who the heck is this guy?" and then he will end up winning all the awards as an "unknown." I hope he is comparable to Chris Stapleton because Chris is freaking awesome. Very powerful song writing and voice that speaks to your soul. Along the lines of Jamie Johnson.

While these may not all have a modern bluegrass sound or "bluegrass on crack" sound as I call it, I think my choices are talented musicians with an older country feel to them. I appreciate talent. Finding the talented singers/song writers who are true entertainers is not easy. Not everyone has this ability. It truly is a Godsend when someone can capture a sound that creeps into your soul with their voice.

Now don't get me wrong, I know this isn't how the thread started. I do think this thread could open some eyes for people looking for a little something different though. My Pandora stations bounce all over. I end up having a lot of Johnny Cash show up on country and rock stations. Yonder Mountain String Band shows up. I have a White Stripes station I really like that throws out a lot of Rage Against the Machine, Beastie Boys, Arctic Monkeys, Marilyn Manson, etc. When my stations are on shuffle it is hard telling what will play next. I even like the old Rap like House of Pain, Digital Underground, Run DMC, etc. Hard to go wrong with Beastie Boys or Guns N Roses either though. How is that for eclectic tastes in music? From Dan Tymnski or Allison Kraus to GNR or Rage or Old Crow Medicine Show. . . .Go ahead Giles, call me bi-polar. I don't care. I like to think diversified is a better term. lol

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I like your style Phil. I have a wide variety of favorite sounds I like to hear also. I like Trampled by Turtles quite a bit, Blackberry Smoke, and OCMS. I dont have Pandora or Iheart so I take what I read hear and search up new music. I always fall back on my mid 1990's alternative and Country. Lately my CD player in the truck alternates between GnR's Appetite for Destruction, an old CD I burned with old country music, and the Foo Fighters Greatest hits. Somewhere I still have my CD case from my Senior year in high school with all the Alice in Chains, GnR, all the Metallica albums, Rage against the Machine, Dr Dre, STP, RHCP, Nirvana, Alabama, Garth, Eagles, George Straight. Basically anything that was on a bar jukebox in the mid 1990's is my flavor. And if I need to get in a better mood, it's Steve Miller Band greatest hits

Gordo

Athens County
Oh man, love me some old time/blue grass.

Here's a couple who have always been pushing that 'scene'. Hardcore musicians that are the best of the best/founding fathers.

Del Mccoury band- I'm pretty certain that everyone of you guys would enjoy it. These guys are old school. 2 of Dels sons travel and play with him most the time. Very traditional. Every time I've seen them they are always wearing Sunday's best and only use microphones to pick up sound. It's off the hook

Larry Keel- I haven't seen anyone lead a band like he does. It's unreal to see live, not to mention the man plays guitar like no other. A bit more gritty then the Del Mccoury band. His wife plays bass for most of his projects. On top of being great musicians/entertainers, they are two of the most down to earth folks you could ever meet. They'd fit right in at a TOO outing.

Sam Bush Band: just check it out.

I could go on forever. I'll post up some good clips. Give them a listen. It's the real deal traditional blue grass/old timey

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice. Thanks Gordo.

Ryan- sounds like we could drive across the country and back without arguing over what is on the radio. Lol

Jim- Cody Jenks was in my Amazon cart and I deleted for the Aaron Lewis CD. His samples sounded a little bland. Maybe I should listen to samples of some of his older stuff. Might pop a little more. Or buy the CD and listen to the whole songs- that might help too. Ha