Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR Ready for hunter's complaints

reo

N.E. Ohio
Looks like they are ready for hunters to complain but don't really care.....

"The criticism we've received is an expected reaction," said Tonkovich. "Hunters are dissatisfied, but so were farmers with crop damage and motorists who had hit deer. We live in an agricultural state with 11 million people.

"The first time the deer harvest hit the 170,000 mark (in 2001), it was a record and everyone was excited. After harvesting more than a quarter-million deer (in 2009-2010), the harvest of about 170,000 deer this year is being considered a shame and a disgrace, the end of deer hunting in Ohio as we know it."

http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2015/01/hunters_unhappy_with_a_lack_of.html

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He's just rubbing our noses in it now. If I ever had an ounce of respect for the man, he went and pissed it away with that statememt.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yeah that was in your face comment there.... He didn't need too put that in there.... But when you're sitting up in a glass palace looking down you lose sight of who keeps you there....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
So how does he explain heavily forested areas like perry and vinton county with low vehicle crash numbers and minimal crop damage issues ?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Keep in mind that even in 2001 we played by different rules. They always point to the harvest increase as if it indicates a population increase when it actually is a reflection of ever increasing liberal regs and bag limits.

reo

N.E. Ohio
Keep in mind that even in 2001 we played by different rules. They always point to the harvest increase as if it indicates a population increase when it actually is a reflection of ever increasing liberal regs and bag limits.

Exactly, yet from his comments he is trying to sell that the populations are the same or close.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is the crap that I find insulting. Mike T knows darn well that most people only look at the final number killed for each year, not the cause. It's for this reason I am tempted to attend a summit, but after years of pointing out the obvious to Mike T personally, I know it will make NO difference for me to attend. Add to that that we are still hunting, I don't think it's worth the effort.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Trophies being recorded is an indicator? Would be interesting to know how few bucks are recorded as trophies. I didn't have mine scored "officially" last year. Not sure if I will this year either. If I do, it is only to sign up for OBB once in my life. Not for ego. Just to experience the banquet once and see what it is all about.

You guys covered everything else well. More opportunity. Less deer harvested because there are simply less out there.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I keep saying take a year off from hunting and buying any outdoor items and then see who they listen to! :pickle:

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Trophies being recorded is an indicator? Would be interesting to know how few bucks are recorded as trophies. I didn't have mine scored "officially" last year. Not sure if I will this year either. If I do, it is only to sign up for OBB once in my life. Not for ego. Just to experience the banquet once and see what it is all about.

You guys covered everything else well. More opportunity. Less deer harvested because there are simply less out there.
Save your money Phil.

yotehunter

spencerville oh

I only have 1 of my 4 recorded Phil. Fugg them they take more pride in the ( record ) then I do it seems . They can't wait too post those record book kill numbers. And then say look what we have done to produce sucha big healthy herd.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Probably so Brian and Jake. Entered my first P&Y in 2010. I have 2 that will probably go OBB now. They are trophies to me. That is all that matters. Just figured I would experience the banquet once. Probably be a lot of people who are good guys and a lot of douche bags looking for you to stroke their ego. I dunno. Just a guess. Good point on giving the ODNR another buck entered to exaggerate their claims of "massive. Buck behind every tree because we are doing such a great job." Ha. They don't need that.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I only have 1 of my 4 recorded Phil. Fugg them they take more pride in the ( record ) then I do it seems . They can't wait too post those record book kill numbers. And then say look what we have done to produce sucha big healthy herd.
if Rex knows your a toozer he will probably edit your record anywayrotflmao