Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frozen Venison

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I was listening to WSJ (Wall Street Journal) last week and I heard the craziest thing. They have a segment called "Healthy Living by Brownfield". This lady gets on and proceeds to explain that frozen ground venison is only good for 3-5 months and frozen steaks (muscle meat) are only good for up to six months. She also said that you should soak venison in vinegar or water to get rid of the gamey taste. WTF?!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well sure but "stupid is and stupid does". How many times have you heard venison is gamey? Several times I have fed venison to people who wouldn't eat venison because it was gamey.

Jamie

Ohio
obviously, this dipshit has never heard of a vacuum sealer. not likely, either, that she has killed, butchered, packaged and eaten a wild deer in her life. I've eaten vacuum packaged venison steaks three years old that might as well have been three days in the freezer. ignorance is bliss...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
She is partially right. Fat does start to turn rancid in about 6 months with air....vacuum sealers changed the game.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've never had a problem with double cellophane and paper wrapped meat. I mean ever.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hmm according to that chart I should have been dead years ago. The home butchered beef I did 24 months ago this week taste just as good as the day it was done. It's in double zipped lock freezer bags.
Must be a lot of good food thrown away in the country.

It doesn't "go bad" for quite a while even in just butcher paper. The turning rancid is a very slow process and it takes a while past the 6 months to really be able to taste it.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Nah, it's not that extreme. It's not about food safety but quality. You could eat a three year n old steak that has been frozen. Ain't gonna hurt yeah but it will taste like shit compared to one much fresher.