Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

132 Year Old Winchester Found in National Park.

teej89

NE PA
Man that's sweet! Just makes me wonder who left it, cuz it obviously hasn't been touched since it was abandoned. THanks for posting!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I'm glad you posted this. When I saw this on CNN today, the duct tape or whatever was on the gun & the reporter made it sound as if the tape was on the gun when it was found.

When I first saw the picture, I thought "No Way" with the tape, then I read the article and it explained the guys that found it used the tape to keep the cracked stock together. That was really cool to read.

teej89

NE PA
When I first saw the picture, I thought "No Way" with the tape, then I read the article and it explained the guys that found it used the tape to keep the cracked stock together. That was really cool to read.

i'm kinda wondering why they used tape and not just wrap it tight w/ cloth. I feel like the tape will do some kinda unwanted damage.

rsmith

i'm kinda wondering why they used tape and not just wrap it tight w/ cloth. I feel like the tape will do some kinda unwanted damage.

That's what I was thinking?? Why not wrap it in a t shirt or 2? Either way very cool find for sure!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I am dying to know the story behind it and what happened to the owner. I would not think back in those days you would just up and leave you gun behind. :smiley_chinrub:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Here is a little more of an update I found on Yahoo today. If you have the time read some of the comments. Kind of interesting what people think.

http://news.yahoo.com/130-old-gun-won-west-found-us-park-025051551.html

Also what was interesting was the gun was unloaded. :smiley_confused_vra It would hole a .40-.44

Then it was useless aside from being a club. Maybe the owner ran out of 44-40 and left it behind to lighten his load, intending to return for it. (if I were writing the movie)lol