Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Private ground hunting?

How much would you pay? Land access only.

• Total voters

Buckmaster

Portage
My out of state guys appear to be getting a deal. $ 100.00 annually for the Camp Fund....helps cover my food plot expenses.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Depends if there are deer there, how many hunters present , and how many hunters already hunted the land already this year.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I'm going to give you a long answer from my personal experiences so please bear with me. My buddy and I have only hunted public land in our 4 yearly trips to Ohio. We have no interest in using an outfitter but with our mixed results on public land we've come to the realization getting permission to hunt private is something we need to try and get. We live too far away to justify leasing but I have looked in to paying to hunt private land for a week or two. I can tell you prices are all over the map but $100 for a week is a steal. I'd gladly give you that no questions asked. Now, I'm not a fan of paying to hunt but it's becoming the way of the hunting world. It's either hunt public or shell out some coin in most cases. I've taken a sort of a can't beat em join em attitude. Personally, I'd like to pay no more than $50 a day but would be willing to go a little higher for the right situation. Before shelling out money to hunt I'd have a few questions.

1. How many other people are hunting the property throughout the season?
2. How many people will be hunting it the days I'm there?
3. Do I have access to the entire property or are there certain areas I have to avoid?
4. Can I shoot any legal deer or are there management practices that need to be followed?
5. Are there any big bucks that are off limits?
6. What time of year is it? Early season, pre-rut, rut, etc...
After hearing the answers to those questions than I would feel more comfortable to make an offer.

Now, in your situation it may be different. If this guy is a close friend and treats you well than maybe just charging enough to cover expenses is a good idea. It's never worth losing a friend over a few bucks. If it's not a close friend than I would say there's no problem asking for a little more money. Even if you went up to $250 or $300 it's still a good deal.

Last edited:

joejoe8

We pay 50$ a night an stay around 10 days. The land owner only has 80 or so acres to hunt around his house. We only hunt his land a few times in those 10 days because of the pressure from his friends an family. But its well worth it to us, we have pretty much everything we need. With that said I would gladly pay more for access to better hunting land.

I do not condone paying to hunt as animals/hunting is meant to be a free range sport......but I do not mind the idea (although I never have) of paying if the costs are meant to be associated with boarding or food related to staying at a place close to the hunting location.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I do not condone paying to hunt as animals/hunting is meant to be a free range sport......but I do not mind the idea (although I never have) of paying if the costs are meant to be associated with boarding or food related to staying at a place close to the hunting location.

Yes animals are free ranging but owning land to hunt them is not free.

Yes animals are free ranging but owning land to hunt them is not free.

Obviously respectively but when purchasing property that ground is an asset...It is one's choice to purchase the property but by no means does that mean the deer and other animals on the property are "your" deer as I often hear people refer to them. I do not think this thread was necessarily distinguishing paying to own property but instead to travel abroad and pay to hunt the animals on the land not for the land itself. Again that is where I reiterate that if you are paying for the use of a lodge or meals while hunting I do not see a problem with that but if you are paying someone with the intentions that your money is going for the deer you shoot of that property I do not total agree with that mindset but obviously these are opinions as this is not a matter of "facts". So with that I so to each their own.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Obviously respectively but when purchasing property that ground is an asset...It is one's choice to purchase the property but by no means does that mean the deer and other animals on the property are "your" deer as I often hear people refer to them. I do not think this thread was necessarily distinguishing paying to own property but instead to travel abroad and pay to hunt the animals on the land not for the land itself. Again that is where I reiterate that if you are paying for the use of a lodge or meals while hunting I do not see a problem with that but if you are paying someone with the intentions that your money is going for the deer you shoot of that property I do not total agree with that mindset but obviously these are opinions as this is not a matter of "facts". So with that I so to each their own.

I understand this. However if someone goes to someone else's property to hunt and the owner could have $100,000's plus invested in property it only seems reasonable to be charged a fee. Plus there is yearly property taxes and up keep.
So the only question is how much is the visiting hunter willing to pay and the value of the property in quality deer hunting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I agree with paying for lodging and such. Only seems right. Beyond that? I dunno. I guess people are paying more for land which presents better opportunity. Why? Could be secluded acreage, food plots and improvements which draw in better deer, or a plethora of other reasons. How much they are willing to pay is up to them.

Mooosie

Guys it is all supply and demand. As long as people will pay it will cost. I own a farm in vinton county that my family and my self hunt, we don't allow any one else to hunt because of the number of family members. If we did not hunt I would consider it as another cash producer to allow other people to hunt. Farming is a business and any business is always looking for ways to increase revenues . The farm cost a lot of money at least to me, and there are taxes and insurance. I had to buy equiptment to take care of the property and it takes fuel. There are other expenses also but I think this should give you an idea of what is involved In owning and maintaining a farm.The farmer doesn't own the animals however he is paying for their home and feeding them.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm glad that the farmers around here don't ask me for money when they give me permission. A nice honey baked ham and a gift card makes them happy at the end of season.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I've hunted in Kentucky Tennessee and Georgia. Have never played to hunt I have thrown the idea around but I wouldn't spend more then a grand or 1500 for the whole trip it depends where also.

At one time I thought paying to hunt was something I would never dream of doing. But, after owning a mere ten acres for the last ten years my thoughts have changed. The time, effort and cost of ownership has changed my thoughts in a huge way. Anyone that has a farm to hunt for free or even just a little work in trade for rights to hunt should thank their lucky stars. If need be I'd drop a good deal of cash for a farm to hunt every fall.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
You can sit on my son's front porch and stare at Pike's Peak. The major works at Fort Kit Carson. Plenty of public hunting and he can hunt on the base, like 500,000 acres. You can actually put in for a drawing for elk and mule deer hunting on the Air Force Academy property.