Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer shot placement

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Interesting video indeed. I wish I knew how it was that two deer I've shot THROUGH the lungs did not die immediately. I'll bet this man and I could argue for a time, or perhaps he would be able to explain it to me. Though no one else ever has.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Not correct. If you put enough pressure on the lungs they will inflate that large but it is not a normal breath to do that. it's bordering on enough to cause a pneumothorax. I call a gentle B.S.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was thinking the same thing in regard to inflation of the lungs. Using an air compressor for sure puts added pressure that normal breathing would not cause. If a deer is winded from running, I could see that inflation, but a calm deer just feeding I highly doubt it.

Neat how he demonstrated though

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The over-inflation was the part I was not certain about. He could be right. Wish he could inflate them without using as much air. Would be interesting to see it live. Not saying he is right or wrong. I dunno.

Kaiser878

ohio
A long doesn't inflate that much with normal inspiration. Also... that deer's been dead for a while. So normal compliance of the lung has been changed. Also.... he has probably don't that 100 times with that particular deer. So the elasticity of the lungs has been blown out of proportion

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The other issue I have with that demonstration is the fact the deer is laying on it's side. Stand it up. Things will look and act differently. I agree the inflation of the lungs like he did was way more then a deer would take in just walking through the woods. Now, maybe during the rut when they are chasing at full speed for awhile and they are really sucking air hard they would get close to that but, I still don't think they would expand as much as he showed.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
A long doesn't inflate that much with normal inspiration. Also... that deer's been dead for a while. So normal compliance of the lung has been changed. Also.... he has probably don't that 100 times with that particular deer. So the elasticity of the lungs has been blown out of proportion

Agreed.

I agree with you guys as well. Over inflated and then when the air is released there is plenty of gap....a deer inhales.....AND exhales! Not to mention the fact of gravity will pull the lungs down on the exhale....it has the same effect on my gut after the holidays!!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It wouldn't have done anything to change his mind. He's convinced on his idea and went through the expense to show it to believers. Shame though.
I would like to see a expert medical explanation on the idea.

I wish I had been there to debunk his poorly reinforced theory......

Kaiser878

ohio
First problem is that there is no diaphragm in his model. Which completely distorts the process. Second, lungs inflate off vaccume not forced air..... I could have made him feel silly. HHa

Kaiser878

ohio
Second his model is missing the visceral and parietal pleura. Which play a large role in sealing the chest cavity to make the vaccume work. The is a space between the two pleura that seperates the two. When that space becomes filled with air that is a pneumothorax. When filled with fluid, a pleural effusion.... when filled with blood, a hemothorax. The visceral pleura which surrounds the outer lungs acts as a containment system. If the lungs are over inflated... I.e. by means of mechanical ventilation .... it will cause a rupture in the pleura and cause a pneumothorax..... so his theory is so off base its not Funny..... anyone have an email for this douche nozzle?

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I totally agree with you fellas. I am impressed with your biology lesson Zach ! Was this guy trying to push his own deer target or something? He said his model? There were some behind him I thought?

Kaiser878

ohio
The problem with this guys pitch to sell deer targets is this..... a deers lungs are where they have been forever... and having a anatomically correct target isn't going to make u a better hunter if your ability to shoot a deer where the arrow belongs isn't there. .....case and point, its just a marketing scheme.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Oh? That's why he's full of hot air!!!! lmao!!!! Sorry Zach I couldn't resist lol....

You have talked to ol Zach. Dude can talk and talk and talk until your ear falls off. You didn't think that was by accident did ya. I mean the guy sucks up air filled with steroids for your lungs to breath better all day and while his patients are sucking air he has to carry the convo so it's a win win for him :smiley_clap: lmao

Just given ya a hard time Zach lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Had the honor of having him in my boat for a couple hours.... You won't be bored lol....

No you will not.

Please tell me he doesn't fight a bass like they do on TV...You know, all leaned back and switching the pole side to side and all over the place lol.