Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

ODNR, DOW Deer Summits - January 24th

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Looks like a new format dedicated just to the deer discussion here in Ohio. Be sure to preregister and attend! Hopefully these are more productive than the traditional Open House events.

From the Outdoor Wire... http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/14210206292vrvj9vhsbb

Ohio Hunters Encouraged to Attend Deer Summits

COLUMBUS, OH - Ohio hunters and others interested in the state's white-tailed deer management programs have the opportunity to provide feedback about hunting regulations and season structures on Saturday, Jan. 24, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).

The first part of each summit will offer updates from ODNR Division of Wildlife staff, including Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) surveillance efforts and results, long-term trends in deer herd condition, and the transition from counties to deer management units (DMUs). The second portion of each summit will give attendees the opportunity to provide comment regarding deer hunting in Ohio.

Hunters who wish to attend the summit should preregister by Friday, Jan. 23, as seating is limited. Summits will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations:

Columbus: Wildlife District One Headquarters, 1500 Dublin Road, Columbus, 43215. Call 614-644-3925 to preregister.
Findlay: Wildlife District Two Headquarters, 952 Lima Ave., Findlay, 45480. Call 419-424-5000 to preregister.
Akron: Wildlife District Three Headquarters, 912 Portage Lakes Drive, Akron, 44319. Call 330-644-2293 to preregister.
Athens: Wildlife District Four Headquarters, 360 East State Street, Athens, 45701. Call 740-589-9930 to preregister.
Waynesville: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Caesar Creek Lake Learning Center, 4020 N. Clarksville Road, Waynesville, 45068. Call 937-372-9261 to preregister.
More information about deer hunting in Ohio is available at wildohio.gov.

ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.

For more information, contact:
John Windau, ODNR Division of Wildlife
419-429-8359
Matt Eiselstein, ODNR Office of Communications
614-265-6860

Milo

Tatonka guide.
rotflmaoSo they hold a summit while deer season is still in? I suppose february is reserved for counting deer..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well that's because they predict the last day of season all the deer kills will correct themselves and deer harvest will be at an all time high!! :smiley_depressive:

I' m wondering why this event is so long and they are limiting seating? That sure is a long time so i'm guessing they are going to spoon feed you 2 plus hours of propoganda and then see who is left standing. Maybe they expecting coonie to show up and start talking...and talking...and talking...

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm half tempted to go. I'm fairly sure what they will say based on the press releases and radio shows. More curious to see how those in attendace respond and how that's handled.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
they started the propoganda early with their wild ohio magazine...they had an article called "The Science of Surveys" .

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Attendance will be low. People are lazy...

Then the DOW can point to that and say, "See, nobody is here. We must be doing just fine."

My son has a soccer game at 9:30 that I'm not going to skip out on. I am going to head over to the District Office as soon as his game is done though. Then I'll leave there and go to his basketball game in the afternoon. Hopefully more people will fill the early seats up.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm going to applaud their effort here. They are reaching out with this concept. Unfortunately, I doubt I make the trip. I'm somewhat burned out on the deer discussion, and the properties I hunt are now on the way back up. They are rebounding because of my efforts, and those of my landowners. The DOW has nothing to do with that...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm going to applaud their effort here. They are reaching out with this concept. Unfortunately, I doubt I make the trip. I'm somewhat burned out on the deer discussion, and the properties I hunt are now on the way back up. They are rebounding because of my efforts, and those of my landowners. The DOW has nothing to do with that...
coonie gonna be pissed you talking like that..