Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2014\15 Deer Hunter Survey Reminder

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Just a quick reminder for the deer hunters out there that received a survey from the ODNR and have not yet completed it. These surveys need to be completed by 1/10/15 so you only have today and tomorrow to complete them. Don't forget to add your comments at the end of the survey.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Fuggers never sent me one. They send me a turkey survey, I've only been turkey hunting for 2 years. I've been deer hunting since I was 10 and I don't get one.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Fuggers never sent me one. They send me a turkey survey, I've only been turkey hunting for 2 years. I've been deer hunting since I was 10 and I don't get one.

Do you have an email registered with the DNR site? I had the same issue until I purchased my hunting license online a couple years ago. Then the DNR started sending out the surveys by email to every registered email user they had. I have gotten them for deer and furbearer (only 2 tags I purchase) for the past 2 years.

Buckmaster

Portage
I took my survey yesterday. Suggested one buck and one doe per year Statewide.
Also suggested Earn a buck and the buck should have 4 points on one side much like PA.
It will never happen but that is my Ohio dream as Arm Chair Manager.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Mine had questions about baiting and CWD in captive deer. The answers they provided was one-sided and didn't have a choice for a true answer. I had to wait until the end to add my comments.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
This survey is bullshit...

We now have convincing evidence that deer populations grew large enough by the mid-2000s to have an impact on herd condition. Both fawn production and antler quality have declined over the past several decades, and changes in habitat quality are compounding the problem. In short, Ohio’s deer herd is no longer able to grow nor is it able to produce quality bucks at the rate it did just a decade ago

How can they say this? The bucks around my area have gotten bigger in the last decade in my opinion...well...its not an opinion, its a FACT.

And the last part about quality versus quantity....what a load of shit....

The farm country where I live could support 50 deer per square mile if we had them...there is no shortage of food here. The quality of deer isn't going to go down because of a few extra deer...give me a break DNR!

Last edited:

antiqucycle

East Ohio
No they do not send me email surveys. However I have been getting the bowhunter observation surveys dating to the late 1980's and completing them each year.
Why are bucks larger? Its those steroids and hgh pills in the corn piles. The deer have also developed a taste for wacky weed bushes.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Do you have an email registered with the DNR site? I had the same issue until I purchased my hunting license online a couple years ago. Then the DNR started sending out the surveys by email to every registered email user they had. I have gotten them for deer and furbearer (only 2 tags I purchase) for the past 2 years.

Yes I do. I check all my deer in on my phone and they require an email address.

This survey is bullshit...

We now have convincing evidence that deer populations grew large enough by the mid-2000s to have an impact on herd condition. Both fawn production and antler quality have declined over the past several decades, and changes in habitat quality are compounding the problem. In short, Ohio’s deer herd is no longer able to grow nor is it able to produce quality bucks at the rate it did just a decade ago

How can they say this? The bucks around my area have gotten bigger in the last decade in my opinion...well...its not an opinion, its a FACT.

And the last part about quality versus quantity....what a load of shit....

The farm country where I live could support 50 deer per square mile if we had them...there is no shortage of food here. The quality of deer isn't going to go down because of a few extra deer...give me a break DNR!

I agree w/ you Gern186, hunted Buffalo County Wisconsin this year. Very similar terraing like Southeastern Ohio, they had a ton of deer. Not in agreement with there appoach to quality vs. quantity. I think we can have more deer by far than what they feel the carrying capacity of the land is.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Yep...we are in a vastly agricultural area...even the central and western parts of the state...don't tell me we have came close to overexceeding the carrying capacity of the land...don't tell me the herd is suffering from overpopulation...there is no way. I have been to parks where there is no hunting and there are deer everywhere...yet they still look healthy as horses..sure, they might eat all the vegetation as high as they can reach...but they will never run out of food to the point they arent healthy...in my opinion .

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree w/ you Gern186, hunted Buffalo County Wisconsin this year. Very similar terraing like Southeastern Ohio, they had a ton of deer. Not in agreement with there appoach to quality vs. quantity. I think we can have more deer by far than what they feel the carrying capacity of the land is.

I saw more deer in an afternoon in Buffalo Co than I will see here all season. We have not reached the carrying capacity of the land, we have reached the carrying capacity of the Farm Bureau. Sadly, many of the farmers I speak with around here think we still have a lot of deer due to the DOW telling them we still have a lot of deer! Look out the window for crying out loud!

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I took the survey.. Put in my 2cents. Told them that the quantity/quality thing was BS and that is should be 1 buck and 1 doe for a few years til numbers bounce back. Who knows what they will do with all the negative comments prolly ignore them and do what they want. The farm areas I hunt can support much more deer per acre. Then farmers that DONT allow hunting complain.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would hate to be the intern who has to sort through all these emails. Who am I kidding? They aren't reading our comments.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I also bitched in the comment section about nuisance tags being given out to easy and that they shouldnt be allowed to kill them by any means. Should have to kill them with legal hunting weapon. And should be forced to donate the meat instead of letting them rot.