Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Diablo 2014-2015 buck

Diablo54

Outside
This late season hunting is fun. But not very fun when your cold. That was a lesson I learned fast when I was younger. The rut had slipped through my fingers and I had messed up my one chance at a good buck for this season. It sucked at the time but things happen. One little limb between you and the vitals can change everything in a blink of an eye. I had that buck. I had a Spot picked and my arrow was for sure on its way to burry into the ribs. But it just didn't work. The little limb sent my arrow off course. There I was frustrated in a tree again, just wondering if I would get another chance this season, or if I even deserved one at the time.

Fast forward to after gun season. I was hanging cameras in spots and trying to get a picture of a decent buck to go after. Turned out this was the easy part. After hanging cams on the corn field plot and dads cam on his corn pile I had several great bucks to chase. It was just a matter of waiting on one to mess up. I spent a lot of time scouting and trying to figure them out than I did actually hunting. I found 2 particular bucks at my house that I really hoped to have a chance at. They just seemed to refuse to show any daylight movement. Then I realized where they were bedding and saw why they couldn't make it to me in daylight. On my way to work which is normally around 5:45 I saw both of them 4 different mornings in the neighbors field crossing the road into a small but thick ravine against the road with honey suckle and oaks. Perfect safe spot for them to bed but not so perfect for me to hunt them. This basically proved to me what they were doing, and that my chances with them were kind of screwed unless they changed things up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730062.155609.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730083.587375.jpg
Then the bucks started moving into dads corn. Not just one or two. In the beginning there were 4 or 5 shooters for me coming to it. Including poindexter and the big brow nine. The big nine was messing up frequently but he would mess up and come in at 9:30 am once a week. It was strange. Then basically every cold front a nice buck would mess up and be there just before dark. I believe it was 3 weeks ago the big nine had came in two nights in a row. I slipped back there and hunted him only to get rained on and watch 2 does skirt by me. I believe it was the next week a few bucks were messing up and following does in showing me signs of a second rut. I went back on a calm night and waited. I had a buck chase does all around me but he was only 100"'s. I knew in the back of my mind that all I needed was some snow and some brutal cold weather and my chances would increase dramatically. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730192.927274.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730217.454608.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730260.217148.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730296.653977.jpg

Monday morning I woke up to 3" of snow. The boss still wanted try to make the 2 hour drive to work so off we went. We came home to nearly 5" of snow at home and his wife's car sideways and stuck in his driveway lol. Tuesday we went to work and it was cold but not brutal. I was really hoping we would be home in time to hunt but it just didn't work out as we were working 3 hours from home and making the drive there and back. Checking the forecast we knew it was going to be brutal on Wednesday but we only had 3 or 4 things left to do on this job and we were all eager to get it finished. We headed out at 5am and it was cold as could be I remember just knowing that we weren't going to work and I'd be able to hunt on one of the best nights we have had since gun season. We made it an hour and a half down the road and the inspector called and told us it was too cold to do tie ins. So we had to head home. I went straight to dads and dumped more corn and switched cards in the camera. Sure enough Monday night there was a shooter in daylightImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730326.758562.jpg and Tuesday night poindexter right at the edge of daylight for the first time in 2 years.

I knew I had to be there tonight but it was going to be cold. The boss and a guy I work with asked what I was going to do the rest of the day. I told them tonight was the night and I would be hunting. They both looked at me like I was retarded. I just grinned. Thankfully mom had given dad a heater body suit for Christmas. And after years of "borrowing his hunting stuff" I didn't even ask really. Just told him I would be using it that night lol. I always tell him "whatever is yours is mine." Which is pretty true lol.

There was just one issue. We never hung a stand at the corn and I had used my climber every time I had hunted it. It was going to be a bitch to get my climber my bow my hunting pack my harness and the suit up the tree and on. I got to the base of my tree at 3:00. And wasn't settled in until 3:30. It normally takes me 5 minutes to get up and be set. The cold was taking a toll until I slipped the suit on. Holy crap that thing really is awesome. I could slip my head down in it and be completely out of the elements. It felt like I was sitting in the living room and it was 70 degrees!

Every 5 minutes of so I would pop my head out and check around for deer. At 4:15 I caught 3 does in the ravine south east and below me and downwind working there way in. I watched them for a second and ducked my head back into the suit. A few minutes later I poked my head out and they were right under me. 30 seconds later here comes 3 more from the opposite direction. And then 2 more from the south. So now I have 8 deer within 25 yards ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730382.521084.jpgand a lot of eyes staring me down. I stayed sitting with the suit on. Next thing I know I see movement in the brush 100 yards south. I can see 3 different body's coming at me. I had a good feeling it was the three young bucks that come in. I never even got up just knowing that none of them were shooters. As soon as the got through the brush a fourth deer got out of its bed. He had to of watched me set up an hour before. I don't know how he didn't see me. This one I could tell was nice but couldn't tell how nice. I knew I needed to get up but how do you get up and grab your bow when there are 11 sets of eyes staring you down at 20 yards. The big buck was coming and coming fast and I didn't know what to do. I had to stay put. Thankfully he was the boss out of all the others that were at the corn and he scattered them off as soon as he got close. As soon as they scattered I quickly got up and unzipped the suit. I pushed my hand out in front of me to grab my bow and he whipped his head around and stared right through me. I knew it was over. My heart sank. But just as soon as I knew he was going to back out a small 8 came to the corn to challenge him. This gave me that 3 seconds I needed to grab my bow and get ready. The buck pushed the little 8 off and came right back never giving me a shot. There is a lot of brush in between the corn and me. And just a few holes to shoot through. The buck commenced to eating but after every mouth full he would stare me in the eyes and chew it. The adrenaline was taking over in me and I didn't feel the least bit cold. But I went to put tension on the string only to realize I had no feeling in my ungloved fingers. I looked down to see I only had one finger on the string. He was quartered too hard. After a few more bites he got spooky and jumped sideways. Here was my chance. I drew back and hit my anchor. Burying my arrow in my mind into a piece of hair just behind his shoulder. The arrow went and made it through the brush. I heard a smack but couldn't tell where impact was. He trotted 30 yards and looked back at me. I picked up my binocs just knowing the shot was no good. I could see a lot of arrow sticking out. My heart sank again but just as it did he took two fast steps to the right that I could tell he did not mean to take. He tried to correct himself and step left which ended up in him slamming a tree which poured snow all over him. Then he went right again and slammed another. Falling on his side afterwards. What a relief. I sat in my stand in disbelief.

Diablo54

Outside
The cold quickly came rushing over me as I was put back to reality. I hung the bow up and zipped up the suit and went back into my turtle shell. I remember warming up so fast inside it. I called dad and told him I had one down. After that I stripped the suit off and climbed down my tree. My feet touched the ground and I knocked an arrow and started slipping in on the buck. I have lost to many deer and seen to many people lose deer to not be ready to shoot again. I had made it to 30 yards and he hasn't budged but I was ready for it. Next thing I knew I was on top of him. He was for sure dead. I never picked his head up out of the snow. I sat against a tree for a minute and soaked it all up. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730590.227000.jpgWe don't do it for the approval of others or to be the best. Unlike what most hunting shows are showing us now. The reason we hunt is for personal satisfaction when we have completed our goals. There is nothing better than taking a challenge on and working so hard and putting so many hours into it just to have it all come together.

Dad showed up and we checked him out. He is an 11 point that we only see occasionally at the corn. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730631.175673.jpgWe drug him to the creek and I gutted him. Finding my arrow and broadhead that had busted through the shoulder and buried into the opposite shoulder. Tearing open his heart and mangling one of his lungs. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730796.496721.jpgSo many people now are into the speed kills phase of bowhunting. But it makes zero sense to me. Would you rather get hit with a feather at 150 mph or a brick at 100 mph?? My bow is 45# and slow. But my arrow weighs a good 600 grains. Then add a 200 grain head on the end of it. Thankfully it did its job.

I'm truly blessed and I owe this one to dad. He may just be a cornpile buck to some of you but it was a lot of hard work leading up to it. And a lot of thinking on dads end as to the placement of the pile. It may seem simple but it is not as simple as you think once you get into wind directions and access to it. I'll go ahead and thank you all again for the kind words and all the encouragement though this season. It all came together last night and I couldn't be happier.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730910.425629.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730923.378662.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730942.650383.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730963.442678.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730747.884675.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420730747.884675.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 78

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thoroughly enjoyed talking to you last night Taylor. I had to chuckle with the turtle comment. You might have earned a new nickname "Turtlehead Taylor".

Congrats again.

Jamie

Ohio
congratulations on an outstanding late season deer! very happy for you. killing a good buck with a stickbow is never easy, but lots of folks don't understand the sheer difficulty of simply shooting a traditional bow well to finish the job with cold fingers, arms, and several layers piled on if and when you do manage to get close enough. way to stick with it, Diablo.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats on a great buck and in cold weather. And for your info "it's not just a corn pile buck". It's a buck well earned. You hunted in extreme weather when 99.99% of hunters wouldn't go out. Job well done.
One of the best write ups this season. You have a way with thoughts and words that's hard to match.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Way to stick with it in brutal conditions, especially in a climber. Those are a bitch to use in freezing temperatures. That's a hard earned buck and a hunt you will never forget. Even better that you got to share it with your dad. Congrats.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well done brother, well done! Damn fine buck and one you should be proud of. You got a standing o from this guy last night! :smiley_clap: