Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Late season squirrel hunting help?

CKelhoffer91

Anyone able to give any late season squirrel hunting help, tips/tricks. Just went hunting for the first time this weekend with no luck. Hoping to be able to get something while there is still some time left.

Jamie

Ohio
Greys tend to be rather inactive in the late season, especially in less than favorable weather, and when they are out of their holes, they seem to be extremely wary. at the first sign of an intruder and they dash into a den. fox squirrels, not so much. truth is, after 35 years of observing squirrels from a tree stand and spending obscene amounts of time hunting them with a dog in December and January for the last several years, I've come to the conclusion that there simply is no rhyme or reason to how active squirrels are. I've gone out on 50 degree days in January with no wind and could not find a squirrel. I've been out when it is 10 degrees with howling wind, spitting snow and trudging through the 6" already on the ground and taken limits. no pattern whatsoever has ever emerged with respect to their behavior in the winter months. they are definitely more active during their breeding cycle, which is about halfway done now.

My advice, go whenever you can, and expect to do a little better on days with light wind. go to a place you know holds squirrels. sit still and wait. if you shoot one, leave it lay until you are ready to leave. pick them all up after you are done so you don't give up your position. or make friends with somebody that has a squirrel dog. :D

Last edited:

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Take your bow climb in you tree stand and in five minute you will have every squirrel in the woods underneath youlmao. Honestly the middle of the day when temps reach the high point of the day this time of year has always been good to me. The calmer the better. Find some oaks or get along the edge of the woods and cut cornfields and be patient. Good luck hope this helps a little.