Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bad morning

Lundy

For Mr. Coyote

Lundy

How about next year in the deer contest that there are points awarded for killing coyotes while out deer hunting.

It would add a little fun and they certainly should be target. You could apply a maximum per hunter for points. Maybe 4 points each, no more than 3-4 per hunter. It would allow someone like me that will only shoot one deer per year, if I ever see a mature buck:), and won't shot a doe to contribute to his team and help with the coyote population. I would much rather shoot a couple of coyotes for points than to shoot a doe, which I won't do this year for sure.

Lundy

Nice kill! That really opened him up good.

Yes it did,

I saw him coming from 300 yds away. When a barked at him to stop him he was 110 yds but he stopped behind a thick briar bush, the only bush in the field for 30 yds any direction. I went ahead and shot him through the bush. That 195 gr bullet at 2650 FPS I think defected on those sticks and hit him sideways. Looking at the wound it's hard to believe he ran 80 yds across the field before he just fell over dead. All of the others I have shot with this gun never took a step. Weird stuff sometimes.

Lundy

Or just start a coyote contest for the off season.....

Not everyone would or could participate in the off season, but everyone is out deer hunting anyway.

A large topic of discussion on TOO for the last few years has been the declining deer populations and the need to reduce the harvest. The deer contest rewards points for killing a doe. Seems like killing a doe should almost be negative points:)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice job Lundy. Beautiful muzzle loader as well.

In regards to the contest, it seems like there was discussion about it. Don't remember what came of it, but we obviously didn't add it in there. I get what you are saying about rewarding negative behaviors in shooting does. On the other hand, there are areas which CAN handle a doe or two being tagged. I suppose it is a matter of time and they will no longer be able to handle additional harvest. For now, there are certain areas I feel can handle it.

Good shooting lundy. That one has a nice pelt TOO.

How about next year in the deer contest that there are points awarded for killing coyotes while out deer hunting.

It would add a little fun and they certainly should be target. You could apply a maximum per hunter for points. Maybe 4 points each, no more than 3-4 per hunter. It would allow someone like me that will only shoot one deer per year, if I ever see a mature buck:), and won't shot a doe to contribute to his team and help with the coyote population. I would much rather shoot a couple of coyotes for points than to shoot a doe, which I won't do this year for sure.

I think that is a good idea alomg as they are taken with a deer season legal weapon.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That count snaring J. [emoji3]

Why wouldn't it, deer is by bow, shotgun/rifle or muzzleloader.... Don't see why rifle bow shotgun muzzleloaders or trapping them... Bottom line they're dead lol.... It's all for bragging rights and no money involved....