Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Z trap dog proofs

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Anyone used theae dog proof traps? I picked some up off amazon and so far I'm impressed with them. They are double action(push/pull as opposed to pull) and have a 4 way trigger on them. I'm dealing with a couple nuisance coons and these may do the trick

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I seen those at Rural king and didn't like the push/pull trigger idea. I figured they would catch to many non target critters. Looked like solid traps though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Saw a guy buy 4 from Rural King today. I was eyeballing them myself. I may set some out at the farm. Never fooled with DP traps before, but I know we have plenty of coons to take care of!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Seems like there's a handful of push/pull trigger DP's on the market now. I always thought the pull trigger was what made DP's so great for catching coons and only coons. Do the push/pulls catch more coons? Do they catch more non-targets like cats, opossums, skunks?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Seems like there's a handful of push/pull trigger DP's on the market now. I always thought the pull trigger was what made DP's so great for catching coons and only coons. Do the push/pulls catch more coons? Do they catch more non-targets like cats, opossums, skunks?

I've only caught one 2 possums in my DPs this year, one in a z trap and the other in a duke.

Kaiser878

ohio
The ztraps are not true dog proofs. Because they are push pull. A lot of guys like em.... I use strictly pull style because of non target catches. Coon, skunks and possum are ball able to trigger a pull style trap.... so it is irrelevant with those species. I have seen many pics of guys with fox in their ztraps.. which is good, unless our trapping for a land owner with a small dog. Haha .. I kicked around buying some but didn't... good traps though. Cats get caught in the pull type just as easy though. They get their claws under the lever and pull up. I've caught a few like that this year.

Ricer2231

The Z traps are all I use. I love em and yea they do catch critters other than coon but so do leg holds, body grippers and other pull only dog proofs. Pull only may not catch as many as push/pull but it only takes one. Just my .02.

I used a dozen this year for crop damage coons
I caught 1 skunk , other than that 1 a lot of coon

I now have 3 dozen of that type of trap
I think I will buy more of the Z traps when needed
John

yotehunter

spencerville oh
They are a little pricey in my opinion. I picked up the diablo dps for from sleepy creek for 99 bucks a dozen this year and they are pull only. I haven't had any problems with them they have caught a lot of coon for me this year. I would say I haven't missed one once they committed to the bait. They either had a coon in them or they have still been full of bait. So next year I'm buying another dozen for the price you can't beat them.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have the Duke's and they have been picked clean two nights in a row. That's why I wanted to try some new ones..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have the Duke's and they have been picked clean two nights in a row. That's why I wanted to try some new ones..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I had a duke picked clean a couple weeks ago.

It's happened two nights in a row..that's was enough for me. I used marshmallows with a touch of peanut butter for call. I use a stale marshmellow and flatten it out in the bottom

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio

Had that happen with mine as well. Found out it was young coon picking them clean. I ended up changing the bait (was using stale marshmellow flattened out as well)and put tuna in and added a little water so they would feel around a little more in the bottom. Caught both the little SOB's.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Next season I'm getting a bag of white marbles that are bigger then the gap between the trigger and sidewall so they can't fall out. Removing the trigger putting in the marble and putting the trigger back in.