Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

looking for information on dillon wildlife area

hollywood

Heading out to ohio mid jan was hoping to hunt dillon wildlife area. If there is any helpful information i can get points of entery, or thoughts on a good stand sites in the area i would greatly appreciate it looking to fill my ohio tag . thank you.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to TOO. Do your reading. I am sure there is info on Dillon on the site. Doubt anyone will tell you the best places to hang a stand. That sounds like you are looking for a handout. Might get someone to point you in the right direction. Doubt you will get someone's "honey hole" information. If you did, and you killed a giant, would it even be rewarding? Sometimes we have to do a little leg work and earn it. Good luck.

hollywood

thank you i was just wondering does the state plant food plots on these lands and are there areas to park, once in get in an area im pretty sure ill be able to find a nice enough spot for myself.

doublej

Guys always assume when someone ask for public land info they are looking for a "handout".
When really 99.9% they are just looking for general info that may be helpful being that they likely have never been to the area. Good spot to get lunch, tips to camping areas/ cabins, watch for people messing w/ your vehicle in such and such area, you can only park in certain area; such and such area is currently closed due to whatever, corn has been cut and/or not planted this year so they know Google earth scouting results for certain areas may pan out differently, and just whatever general information could help things go a little smoother.
I've never hunted Dillon only fished there a bit. I lightly scouted in over the summer. I know a guy that I worked with that hunted it 1-2 years ago. Said he saw a few deer, some guy tried to break the lock on his stand and take it, but didn't see the TC that caught him in the act and his spot eventually got to much pressure and he moved on. Typical public land stuff, go deep and scout human sign as much as deer sign. Later Season you may have less to worry about, Dillon's not very big so not sure how many areas you can really go deep but if you can't go deep go hard to get too, IE you need Hip boots instead of regular knee boots to get there etc. If it's easy for you to get to, it's easy for everyone else.

Well I re-read his post and he did ask for stand sites...so maybe he is looking for a handout idk..Stmt still stands though cause I see to many guys get preached at about wanting a handout when they never said anything about that

Last edited:

hollywood

thank you doubleej. thats exactly what i was looking for basic stuff i was also looking at woodbury area as well looks like i can get deep into the woods there im not familiar with either area i usually go with an outfitter earlier in the season. but i cant afford that twice this year . i figure once i find a decent spot to park and enter the woods ill find where they are. i only have a week out there so ill be hunting hard. thank you i aprpreciate it

doublej

Pre-scout on Earth..come up with a plan and get several way points to check draw out your paths to take if you got a GPS capable of that. Spend at least the entire first day scouting, preferably more. Don't look at scouting as wasting time you could be hunting but rather as insurance that you will have a much more enjoyable hunt when you do setup shop. And find a few spots before you start hunting don't just roll with the first decent spot you see, you have have company when you go hunt it or something may happen and you want to move on in this case you just go to spot 2 instead of having to scout again.
And not sure how much hunting you've done on public but your hunt getting ruined is pretty common, don't sweat it it's public majority of the time it isn't done on purpose squirell hunters etc. usually don't even realize your right there.
Good luck, hoping to hear how it pans out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Guys always assume when someone ask for public land info they are looking for a "handout".

Well I re-read his post and he did ask for stand sites...so maybe he is looking for a handout idk..Stmt still stands though cause I see to many guys get preached at about wanting a handout when they never said anything about that

Absolutely NOT trying to bust the guys balls. I wish him luck. Just saying, I doubt anyone is going to give up any honey holes. I get what you are saying and the original poster echoed that was what he was looking for. Sorry if I sounded gruff. I just wanted him to be realistic about what he might expect when he presents it in such a way. Good luck Hollywood.

doublej

Absolutely NOT trying to bust the guys balls. I wish him luck. Just saying, I doubt anyone is going to give up any honey holes. I get what you are saying and the original poster echoed that was what he was looking for. Sorry if I sounded gruff. I just wanted him to be realistic about what he might expect when he presents it in such a way. Good luck Hollywood.

All good...I actually made my post without fully reading it.. So I was at error and your statement was on point but rather than delete it I just added the little update at the end because that reply does happen a lot when guys ask for some public guidance.
Just irked me a little cause I was in that position and got 0 guidance cause guys assumed I wanted honey holes I guess.Last thing I wanted I actually quit hunting on 400 acres of private land a few years ago and went to public because I wanted to see if I could still kill deer on their terms rather than mine. So read first bit, hit close to home, replied without reading through. I gotta stop that haha

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I think I gave good advice. The maps provided on the ODNR websites can be very helpful. Especially when used with Google Earth. I've hunted and/or scouted a bunch of different public lands in my 4 years coming to Ohio. These 2 tools give you all the info you need to get started. After that it's just boots on the ground to find your spots.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's funny. Some of us here live quite close to Dillon & it's never appealed to me. I would say try the east side of rt 146 1st. Stay against the hillsides & hopefully deer may come down to check the cut cornfields, if they had them there this year.

Last edited:

hollywood

I probably should have taken some time in this post and it sounded bad sorry. i can find my own honey hole really been at this long enough but im unfamiliar with ohio and its game lands as they are called in pa. I was looking for access points as parking spots dont wanna end up parking next to a cliff and figureing out how to get into game lands and if there are food plots planted by the state. what would be the best road in to these parking areas. i have about 10 days in ohio so i would spend the better partt of the first day and a half looking for spots morning and evening spots and placing stands and cameras. i appreciate all the in put and ill let you know how i make out if i do.ive been living on google earth btw dillon looks swampy so thats another thing i wanted to know about looking more twords woodbury at this point. thank you

Ricer2231

Is there some reason why you're not looking at AEP? I didn't tell you to go there being a smart ass, I told you to go there because it's better hunting. I live within 10 minutes of Dillon.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is Dillon close to Blue Rock? If so, I would not recommend it. My foreman and his family have been going there for several years with minimal sightings of deer. I do not know how hardcore their efforts have been or how smart they are hunting. Honest. Not bashing. Just not sure their level of dedication. Might be pretty intense. I have never hunted with them.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
I have a co worker for about 5yrs now ride the mountain bike trail at Dillion and he said they kick up all kinds of deer. I know it's not a hunting situation but he seen deer close to the bike path every time they road. Even had deer cut then off and cause a wreck lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have a co worker for about 5yrs now ride the mountain bike trail at Dillion and he said they kick up all kinds of deer. I know it's not a hunting situation but he seen deer close to the bike path every time they road. Even had deer cut then off and cause a wreck lol

What time of year is that?