Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rabbits with a rifle or handgun?

I've hunted rabbits with a bow and it's a lot of fun. However, arrow losses are bad, if there's snow on the ground.

It's less expensive and just as much fun with a .22 rifle or a handgun of various caliber choices. Obviously, all shots are taken while the rabbit is sitting, for safety reasons. A single shot to the head doesn't waste meat and drops them on the spot.

I've used a scoped Savage .22 rifle and with handguns in .22LR, .357 Mag., .44 Mag. and 9mm.

Has anyone enjoyed hunting rabbits with a rifle or handgun?

Bowhunter57

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I have and it is a blast. My mom had about 10 acres of really thick overgrown stuff in the yard and lots of rabbits. The best time I found is in the late afternoon when there is snow on the ground. I walked around slowly and just looked for the brown rabbit shape sitting in the snow, usually under a thorn bush. I kicked up a bunch that I never saw until it was too late and they were running but spotted quite a few and got a shot with a handgun. Missed a few also. The 2 handguns I used were a Heritage rough rider in 22 LR and a S&W 22A in 22LR. Also did it with a 22 rifle that had a scope but the handgun was more fun.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have used a Ruger single action 22 pistol on just a couple of occasions. Shots taken were selective however it was really fun!
I found the best time was hunting heavy grape vines and they were sneaking through.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yep, my favorite way to hunt rabbits. I've had pretty good beagles since I was in high school. We don't rabbit hunt as much as we used to but still hunt them a fair amount. Mason has generally done the majority of the shooting the last few years with his 20 gauge, but I still carry my H&R revolver. It's been my primary rabbit collector for the last decade or so. It's killed a pile of rabbits and missed a few too. It's chambered in 22 mag and does a fantastic job.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here is one I stumbled onto while running snares last year at the end of February. Poor thing. It ran off a short piece after I jumped it and stopped. It shouldn't have. Made a good lunch though.

Attachments

• IMG-20140227-01367.jpg
    IMG-20140227-01367.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 161
brock ratcliff,
That's a fine looking revolver you have there. I love revolvers, but prefer autos, to get away from the breech blast between the cylinder and barrel. Some revolvers are worse than others. I had a H&R Sportsman mod. 666 that was very accurate, but it would bust your ears worse than my .357 Mag.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one hunting rabbits with this method. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Well on my way back from checking a snare i decide to hunt the edge of the railroad tracks with my single shot marlin trapping rifle. One takes off and stops and i think perfect but no i shoot and miss and it runs off. The next one i see i can only see the head sticking out from under a tree in a brush pile and think to myself i'm going to nail this one and after the first missed shot and some chasing around i finally connected after the fourth shot lol. Talk about a lot of fun. I'm a thinkin i should maybe shoot this old truck gun on some paper just to see where im at with it. Shooting snared yotes up close no problem but rabbits at five yards lol!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
lol.... I'm picturing that hunt lol.... We needed too video that one lol.... Post the target so we can see how far off it was....

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Never made it to the range with the rifle but did shoot at a leaf in the snow and drilled it at 20 yards so maybe i was to close lol. Strapped on my ruger MK-II yesterday and as i was walking across the living room it hit the ground. I was like wtf is going on here and noticed the plastic belt loop stiched on the back of my uncle mikes holster had rotted and broke apart. I thought plastic lasted forever lol. I ended up just going for a walk with it in my hand but never seen any rabbits. Today i'm going to take my little colt single action as the holster is still good on this one. Its just fun being out walking through the snow looking at all the tracks and stuff plus getting some excercise is good.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sweet! At least you got to shoot a bunch... some people buy paper targets and go to a range to fire off that many rounds!