Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

rabbit hunting choke test

sdole721mx

Alright so after doing some reading on the web iv found that there iant very much detailed info on which SPECIFIC rabbit hunting choke is best. So for the rest of the 2014-2015 season ill be testing specific brands and posting what iv found. Ill be using a remington 11-87 20 gauge. Im gonna start with remington's spectrum lite full and improved cylinder fluted chokes. If there are any specific chokes someone wants tested please feel free to let me know. Ill be doing hunting with dogs only. Wont be jumping them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm a fan of full choke myself in most situations.... Always had good luck with them and I'm a creature of habit lol.....

How many dogs you running? I've got three....

Huckleberry Finn

Man I have never thought that much about a rabbit choke. Used the use an improved I believe in a 870 12 with 28 inch barrel. Killed many with no. 6s. Since then I carry Beeners old 20 single shot.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I use a .410 exclusively.... Started with an old Noble pump full choke, and now use a O/U .410 with full and modified.... Always selected too full choke and rarely pull the trigger twice.... lol that my story and I'm sticking too it lol....

Open cover I use a Mod choke
Tight cover , I use IC or a old cut barrel with no choke
Also IMO a good shell has a lot to do with how good you do

As I have seen the paterns guys get with the cheap #6 "rabbit" loads .....a lot of big holes

John

Flatlander

Darby Creek
Alright so after doing some reading on the web iv found that there iant very much detailed info on which SPECIFIC rabbit hunting choke is best. So for the rest of the 2014-2015 season ill be testing specific brands and posting what iv found. Ill be using a remington 11-87 20 gauge. Im gonna start with remington's spectrum lite full and improved cylinder fluted chokes. If there are any specific chokes someone wants tested please feel free to let me know. Ill be doing hunting with dogs only. Wont be jumping them.

So what are the results from your testing?

When I started hunting my first shotgun was a single shot Iver Johnson .410. Full choke with a 3" chamber. It took a couple months to figure out what worked best. 7 1/2 shot was what worked best in my .410. I shot everything with it, crows, squirrels, quail, grouse, pheasants. rabbits, woodcock, ducks and a couple groundhogs.