Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

National Deer Alliance?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There was a post about the NDA on here a couple months back. Can't seem to locate it right now. I signed up for their news letter. Lot of lip service right now. It'll be interesting to see how they step up in the face of all that's going on right now.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They were formed I believe about 6-8 months ago now. I've gotten a lot of emails from them for surveys etc. I have yet to see them take a single action against one of these Midwest state DNRs that are decimating their deer populations, much less even say a cross word about them. So IMO until that happens they're just another organization that's all talk. Most of these Orgs claim to be for hunters, want donations and members to help "fight the antis" and claim to be for hunters. Yet I haven't seen a single one take on the biggest threat to hunting today. State DNRs and their willingness to decimate deer numbers that is greatly impacting our sport. Our own DNR has done more damage to deer hunting in 3 years than the antis have accomplished in the past 20.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I believe it was formed in Summer by QDMA and USSA to aid hunters in gaining a singular voice. I presume they are leveraging the weekly surveys to gather some stats/evidence to support the pulse of hunters in different regions. I am still hopeful in the very near future (end of deer seasons) that we will see them take an active role in fighting for hunters as DNR's everywhere evaluate and set 2015 regs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I believe it was formed in Summer by QDMA and USSA to aid hunters in gaining a singular voice. I presume they are leveraging the weekly surveys to gather some stats/evidence to support the pulse of hunters in different regions. I am still hopeful in the very near future (end of deer seasons) that we will see them take an active role in fighting for hunters as DNR's everywhere evaluate and set 2015 regs.

Which is funny because our DNR has said they worked closely with the QDMA to work out a plan for managing Ohio's deer. Last year after the DNR said that the QDMA association backtracked saying they believe the DNR was off base and their 1 to 1 deer ratio didn't apply to wild populations.

While I believe the DMA is collecting stats on hunter opinions etc the fact is we have gone through yet another deer season where our deer population was allowed to be further decimated. The yearly harvest report since 2010 was all the stats they need to see to prove action needed to be taken swiftly. Hopefully they take the bull by the horns and don't play slap fight with the DNR in public but slap each other on the back in private like most of these orgs do.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Sean, you have any insight on this?

The NDA was formed this past year at the North American Deer Summit to better align all of the deer hunting interests across the country. There were many organizations, businesses, and individuals who were instrumental in the formation of the NDA. QDMA was chosen as the best organization to help lead the effort, but QDMA and NDA are 2 completely different and separate organizations. Don't confuse their mission statements and goals with one another.

NDA - what and why? http://www.nationaldeeralliance.com/whatwhy.php

I would suggest reading up on the NDA website, and even consider attending the 2015 North American Deer Summit which is open to the public on a first come first served basis. http://www.qdma.com/deersummit It's in Louisville, KY so driving down for the meetings shouldn't be an issue for anybody interested.

As a newly formed organization, I would give it some time to get things in order.

reo

N.E. Ohio
They were formed I believe about 6-8 months ago now. I've gotten a lot of emails from them for surveys etc. I have yet to see them take a single action against one of these Midwest state DNRs that are decimating their deer populations, much less even say a cross word about them. So IMO until that happens they're just another organization that's all talk. Most of these Orgs claim to be for hunters, want donations and members to help "fight the antis" and claim to be for hunters. Yet I haven't seen a single one take on the biggest threat to hunting today. State DNRs and their willingness to decimate deer numbers that is greatly impacting our sport. Our own DNR has done more damage to deer hunting in 3 years than the antis have accomplished in the past 20.

I sent them an email after the last survey asking when the "advocating on behalf of hunters" would be starting....No response

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you for the information Curran. I signed up to follow along. I won't pre-judge them. It will be interesting to see where they take it or "IF" they take the reigns. Hopefully they become a true advocate for deer hunters.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thank you for the information Curran. I signed up to follow along. I won't pre-judge them. It will be interesting to see where they take it or "IF" they take the reigns. Hopefully they become a true advocate for deer hunters.

No pre-judge needed. They've had long enough to saddle the horse and ride. If they're this slow to act they're never going to be very effective. They'll be just like the rest, lots of peacocking lip service, look at me, we care, we're trying to do this, etc but never bring the fire and brimstone. If there was ever any intention of going after the DNR with both barrels the QDMA would have done it long ago, why from a new org to do what you could have done years ago. We will see but I'm not seeing a whole lot of stoking the boiler to build a head steam.

IMO the only thing this org has been good for so far is for other orgs to point the finger at and say "that's their job"when questioned about why they haven't gone after these DNRs themselves.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
Seems to me there are many who talk. I'm not just talking about some alliance organization either. Nobody will do anything. The DNR's all know this. Money talks and you all know the rest.