Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NO D-Loop??

Have any of you gotten rid of the D-loop and gone back to (or never strayed from) attaching your release directly to the string?

Up until 2 years ago I used the regular nocking point above and eliminator buttons under the arrow and always shot great using it that way. Serving wear wasn't too bad and every year or two I would get a new string or serving re-done. The last two bows I have owned I went with the D-loop and I feel I am not nearly as consistent as I used to be. Maybe it's old age, maybe it's aging eyes but something feels amiss. I am actually thinking about dropping it and going back to the nocking point and eliminator buttons to give it a try.

Or shooting compounds with gloves or tabs for that matter lol..... I always used a tab for better groupings.....

I hear ya's! I grew up shooting a tab, glove, then got into a release maybe around 1985 ish LOL.

I'm kind of thinking that I am torquing the bow some here and there but perhaps the D-loop is helping cause that? If that makes any sense? I am also wondering how consistent the arrow is setting in between the knots versus being pinched between a nocking point and eliminator buttons. I know part of my problem is I didn't get my bow early enough to allow me to get used to it completely like I would have wanted. Perhaps shooting it a lot more this next season I will feel better about it and in time I will be torquing less too.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
It could be a long list of things..new grip, sight window, let off etc can mess with you. That's why I don't shoot elite is for the high letoff. I get sloppy on the back end and careless. Once th thing lets off you have to be very precise on yout form. It could also be a dloop length. One minor tweek could help. For instance switchitter on here has to have a really short dloop because he is at the back end of his draw length. On my current bow I need a long loop be used the bow is maxed out on draw length and it's still a fuzz short. Something to consider

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Milo, did you see any of these problems before the advent of the high percentage let offs? Torqueing and target panic and a host of other issues?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Like Milo eluded to, the advent of the d-loop is not the problem, but rather is likely a host of other things that may or may not he related to the d-loop. D-loops are a good thing.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Milo, did you see any of these problems before the advent of the high percentage let offs? Torqueing and target panic and a host of other issues?

I didn't shoot real bows back then J. I grew up with recurves and crossbows

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Started out using a tab but when I went to the overdraw and had to convert to a release. Used the D loop for a bit but got away from it. just clip my release on the bow string under a brass clip that is squeezed on to the string. I just watch the string for wear.

Or shooting compounds with gloves or tabs for that matter lol..... I always used a tab for better groupings.....

No the first archery deer i killed was with a bright gloss red hoyt mystic rebel i was shooting with a glove. I was just unaware that people used mechanical releases without a d loop.

Like jim and milo said the variable is in or form somewhere

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input on it. Today while shooting I really noticed how loose my arrow fit between the knots on the D-loop so at full draw I asked my daughter to move it up and down to see how much play there was. I'd say it's no less than a 1/16th of an inch the arrow can move. I thought it was being pinched tight or at least should be? Am I right on that? Would I be ok to try to serve anything in there to give it a more consistent hold?