Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow#2

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpg
The time is fast approaching for another bow build. I'm staying in the recurve category again but instead of on the fly bow building, I'm going to try to be more calculated and precise with this build. I am also attempting to fancy this bow up some. Woods for the riser is going to be osage and walnut for contrast and a physical weight reductions. The massive nature of recurve to risers makes this a necessity.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The picture didn't show up real well so I will need to improve that some. I will do that here in the next couple of days. I need to work on some layout items so I can build patterns to layout my work and develop tight glue lines. Once I get the patterns developed I'm going to transfer them to a thin piece of wood that will be come a sanding pattern to help speed up the amount of work needed to put one together. I'm ready for the fat man to bring the toys so I can begin the planning some shop time. I will share the development of these patterns and the failures/successes along the way. It's nice to have one successful bow under your belt. Sure takes that anxiety and over eagerness off to he table.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll be watching just like your last bows you guys built! It'd be cool seeing the process of building arrahs TOO......wink wink:smiley_coolpeace:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
There will also be a bow #3 if we have enough time. Here is a picture of the riser wood i have coming for it. image.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well I finally found time to get in the shop with Greg. First order of business for me was to get the osage I bought stripped of wax and jointed and glued together. The wood for bow 2 will be osage and bow 3 will be spalted maple. The maple needs much more work than the osage. Rigjt now both risers are in the hot box being glued together.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpg here is the safe after being jointed to make a flat surface. I'm really please with the grain and character of this wood so far. Both of these surfaces were rough sanded with 60 grit, wiped clean and glued. If the rest of the wood turns out like these photos this now should be a real looker.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
image.jpg. This is bow 3 and the spalted maple. This stuff looks lawrse but has some flaws that could render it dangerous. Spalted is partially decayed wood and will need to be strengthened with some phenolic material I need to order. It should be really striking when I get is shaped. I spent today trying to layout the wood to get the best look out of it. What your looking at will be the one side of the bow.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Ok so Greg is going off the reservation on his build. Really cool ass bow and it's going to be neat how it turns out. He had a head start on me so he is in the finishing stages of his riser. Here are some pics of his bow and his accent strikes. image.jpg