Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bow Malfunction~ But God is Good

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Eric and ZJ went hunting this evening.

15 minutes later, ZJ came in the house and told me Eric told him to come back to the house. I thought maybe they had shot a deer and Eric was dragging it down the hill, except ZJ's eyes were great big and he said he did not shoot at a deer.

I asked what was going on and he said Eric said not to tell me, which sent me into immediate panic. I grabbed ZJ and said I needed to know what was going on. ZJ said he didn't think Eric was shot.
I guess ZJ was trying to tell me that Eric said not to tell me to call 911, but I was too panicked to let him get all that out.

I didn't know whether to call 911 and since my foot is broken, I couldn't climb that hill to see what was going on, so I started screaming up the hill. Eric answered me though I couldn't make out what he was saying.

I eventually saw him slowly creeping down the hill and he said not to call 911.

What happened was the crossbow was on safety and when Eric slid the arrow into place, the bow went off. The arrow did go into his boot, but by the grace of God, not into his toe, though it thumped it pretty good. The arrow actually cracked in two on impact and came totally apart pulling it out of his boot.

We called to the company and the anti-dry fire pin acted as a trigger when the arrow was being slid into place. Definitely a crossbow malfunction and nothing Eric did.

We have a new crossbow on the way and they want us to mail this one back to them.

I told Eric to stop and buy himself a lottery ticket tonight as he is extremely lucky. If that bow had been faced differently, towards Eric or ZJ, someone could very well be dead.

eric-parker-3.jpg eric-broken-arrow.jpg

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
It was a Parker. The guy on the phone knew what had happened. I guess he's seen it before but not on this model, which was the Challenger.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Glad he's ok. I know he "technically" didn't do anything wrong... But that's why you make sure it's pointing away from you when you load it.

rsmith

Wow! Glad no one got physically hurt! He should run out and get a couple lottery tickets now!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good to here everyone is safe. Never point at something you don't want to kill. Plain and simple.