Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Call Opinions

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We have discussed calls ad nauseum here and that has helped me narrow my search down to 3 calls. I've been fooling with the idea of getting an acrylic call for a couple years now. My calling has reached a point I feel I can justify it. My primary call is a Field Proven Double Shot Poly and I will always have this call on my lanyard. What I desire now is a call with that "dirty" rasp to it.

I'm looking at these 3 calls and welcome any feedback you all have on them.

Echo XLT Timber
RNT Daisy Cutter
Field Proven Shot Caller

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Of those 3 the daisy cutter has the most built-in raspiness. However all 3 can get plenty raspy. The XLT is the most versatile of those 3... Can get low and raspy, high and loud, and everywhere in between. The thing is, that double shot can get plenty raspy too. I don't typically like double reeds, but the FP double shot is an awesome call. The thing is, YOU can control the raspiness regardless of what call you're blowing. Yes, some make it a little easier than others, but usually those ones are less versatile all-around. The inflection of your voice that you put into the call determines whether the sound is raspy or naisily or squeely or high. All of those calls can accomplish what you want to hear. Try not to depend on the call itself... You can make it do what you want with enough practice. That all being said, I prefer the XLT as it's my go-to call. But I also really like the daisy cutter and will probably own one eventually.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Like jimbo said . If you use voice inflection and "growl " into the call instead of just blowing air . Ya can do the same with goose calls . If your already doin this then carry on . Just wasn't sure if ya did .
I myself need to get a higher end duck call . I just use haydel calls right now , and I like em .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't use my voice much. Still focused on cadence more than anything. I'm sure as I get more comfortable with my routine, I can start getting more detailed with it.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Go to Cabelas and try them. I have been messing with the "tune" of my goose call and it has really helped.

Exactly! I went and tried dang near every call at Cabelas. Amazing to me how the price doesn't really dictate how good the call sounds. I ended up grabbing an Echo Diamondwood Timber. It was only $54 and to me sounded better than many of the $100+ calls. My absolute favorite was the Lynch Mob Jezebel. If I have any Christmas cash I may go back and get it. I will never buy another call without going and trying it against other calls. Kind of like picking out a bow. Everyone likes different things about them and everyone is different. My 2 cents is to go try them all and see what you like best versus the competition.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Like jimbo said . If you use voice inflection and "growl " into the call instead of just blowing air . Ya can do the same with goose calls . If your already doin this then carry on . Just wasn't sure if ya did .
I myself need to get a higher end duck call . I just use haydel calls right now , and I like em .

Same here. The DR-85 duck and H-81 goose are great calls for the money. Nothin to look at but sound great!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe after duck season closes up here I can send you my XLT, Jesse. Gosh I don't know how well I'll sleep knowing it's out away from home though. Lol

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I'm still using my Haydells with good results. If I want "super" raspy I have an RNT original, biggest problem with RNT calls is that any real amount of moisture and the reeds stick. Don't have this problem with my $30 Haydell Redleg. Honestly its not the call, its the caller. I've got buddies that I wont even pick my calls up around bc they sound so much better and most of them blow a cheap dr-85.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Maybe after duck season closes up here I can send you my XLT, Jesse. Gosh I don't know how well I'll sleep knowing it's out away from home though. Lol
HA. I'd be sure to save some spittle for you! lmao

I really need some lessons more than I need a call. I have no ear for pitch or tone and my rhythm sucks. I've been tempted to let my wife use my short reed goose calls and DVDs so she can teach me. She played clarinet for a while and I bet she'd pick it up better than I have.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Amazon had the DR-85 for $10.23 via Prime. I like the sounds of it so far. Good looking out there. I may still get a higher end call, but I'll wait until I can try them out first.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Amazon had the DR-85 for $10.23 via Prime. I like the sounds of it so far. Good looking out there. I may still get a higher end call, but I'll wait until I can try them out first.
Sounds like a good deal to me. Many ducks have been duped by the DR-85.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like a good deal to me. Many ducks have been duped by the DR-85.

JBSedon

Vandalia
I know this thread is old, just wondering how it ended up for you. Did you buy an acrylic?

I picked up a Zink NBG towards the end of the season. I absolutely love it. It chuckles decently and has great tone with some voice added to it. It sounds great when it chuckles, but it will stick during the call. It's a single reed.

Not a Zink fanboy, but I may go ahead and get the ATM next. I know a lot of guys stay away from Zink because of various reasons, and I'll be the first to say that their Polycarbs suck. I have a poly PH1, and it's pure chit.