Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turnips

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I planted 1/2 ac. of turnips, radishes, and beets this year. But something took over and smothered almost everything out. I did get some groundhog radishes that were 3" around and over 18" long and damn are they hot. Almost too hot for my liking.
Anyway the grandsons were down there tonight and brought up a 6" turnip that was perfect. They never seen anything that big before and wanted to know if I seen them. I told them I've been eating what few there was for couple months now. Grandma cleaned and sliced it up for them and it was great. Having the rest for Christmas with my deer jerky and 4 different flavors of deer summer sausage. Plus deer heart I saved and cooked up this year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Smothered out? You sure the tops weren't eaten off but there are more in the ground than you thought? We tried this one year and thought it was a bust until the things were climbing out of the ground after the first frost. Or was it before the first frost? Don't remember.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No it happened when the plants were 3-4" high in early July. Some type of grass took over and just smothered everything out except a few plants along the edges. What ever the grass was it came in the seed and died off early and turned brown. I looked at the seed bag and didn't see anything I could ID. I'm going to burn off that 1/2 ac. come spring then work it up and roundup the new growth to try and get rid of whatever it was.
I've never seen this grass plant before on the farm and was only on that 1/2 ac. food plot. I won't mention the seed company but it was not Whitetail Inst.

Smothered out? You sure the tops weren't eaten off but there are more in the ground than you thought? We tried this one year and thought it was a bust until the things were climbing out of the ground after the first frost. Or was it before the first frost? Don't remember.