Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sears Craftsman tool warranty

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I had a Denist appointment this morning and took 3 Craftsman ratchets back for warranty work as they would strip over under pressure. The funny part these are 50 yrs. old this week as the wife got them for me for Christmas the 1st year we were married.
They said no problem but they where so old there was no parts available for a rebuild so they exchanged them for 3 newer rebuild ones.
I bought 2 new tools while I was there.

That's great service.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've always liked craftsman hand tools. Sears is struggling in today's market and they're not gaining any ground. They purchased the failing kmart in hopes to revive their business. But Kmart is going under and sears is closing most Kmart stores. I'm willing to bet sears isn't far behind

Strother23

Columbus, OH
It's good to hear that the tools lasted that long but the tools you had was made in USA and the new replacement one are made in China now. Not sure how long ago craftsman started making their tools in china but a lot of people are not a fan of them selling out. Sears and kmart are both struggling. Maybe part of the reason they went with cheaper tools.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I miss the Sears store in our home town. I use to purchase just about everything from there......tools, chainsaws, appliances, TV's, surround sound for the TV, tires........I miss it. :smiley_cry:

I kind of like Kmart for misc. things over Walmart simply because I can get in and out fast, check out is a hell of a lot faster as well. Regarding food I hate it but go to Walmart........hate the lines and goof balls there.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Stanley tape measures are the same way. I go through at least 6 a year. Take the broken one back and they give you a new one. Walmart doesn't honor the warranty last I knew.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/17/news/fortune500/sears_kmart/
It was the other way around. Kmart bought Sears. Both will fail as I see it.

I was thinking it was the other way around. Yes. Online sales are killing the brick and mortar stores. JC Penney will fall before Sears/Kmart. Until these stores capitalize on their online sales first, brick and mortar second, it will be tough. I see Sears selling off the Craftsman name prior to closing. They are selling in ACE stores already.

I was thinking it was the other way around. Yes. Online sales are killing the brick and mortar stores. JC Penney will fall before Sears/Kmart. Until these stores capitalize on their online sales first, brick and mortar second, it will be tough. I see Sears selling off the Craftsman name prior to closing. They are selling in ACE stores already.

I like ace hardware stores they are different and the sales people are always knowledgeable and friendly

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I always forget about Sears except when I'm appliance shopping. My fridge, freezer and grill all came from Sears. Both flat screen TVs too. They usually have some great prices on that stuff during their sales.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

It's not just online. They're getting kicked in brick and mortar shops too. Their bread and butter was appliances. With place like Home Depot, Lowes, and even best buy selling appliances, sears is hurting. But the biggest factor is those other places started selling electronics and appliances like LG and Samsung but Sears kept trying to sell those junky kenmore and whirlpool appliances. They also lost out on electric tools like drills, saws, table saws etc. They kept pushing their junky craftsman brand while Home Depot and lowes pushed things like dewalt, Milwaukee, and mid range like rigid. Their demise is failing to adapt and bring to retail the things people want. Not the things with their name on it that they make the largest margin on and is made in china.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hey Rick, remember how we could go into the old Sears on 79 when we were kids & they had EVERYTHING ? That was our big trip for Saturday night. Guns, pool tables, all that candy just to mention a few. Remember that beach ball that was constantly suspended in the air by that sweeper ? I can still smell that candy. Those were the days. Do you remember when Sears use to be in downtown Newark before that ?

Last edited: