Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WWP...read and decide.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for the heads up. Our gunclub donates two 50-50 drawings proceeds to the WWP each month for about 175-200.
I just advised all gunclub officers of this. But the main organizer is a real idiot so it'll probably fall on the wayside.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
All the big charities are like that. unicef comes to mind immediately. There is too much money involved with people's good intentions for there not to be a crook involved. You want to help a wounded vet? Find one and give the money directly to them.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hate reading stuff like this but appreciate being informed.

The thing which bothers me is the "wounded warrior" participants. Most I would think are very deserving. I have assisted on some of these hunts in the past. We had some questionable "wounded" vets. Please don't take it wrong. ALL our vets deserve recognition. But. . . when doing a project for wounded warriors, there is no way to truly know if they were ever a vet let alone if they were wounded in combat. I believe the local chapter may have been scammed by some guys who may have never even served. Simply a disgrace. Nobody turned them away, but there were some whispers amongst the volunteers. Some of these guys had no clue about the military. Truly sad.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The WWP will not allow hunting or shooting sports to use their logo for sponsored hunts and such. Their have been other groups formed to fill the role.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I am a WWP Alumni. Every year they call me around my birthday and Xmas to see how I'm doing. I've read the article a few times, it came out a few years ago. I have a good friend who used to work at the Butler County Veterans Service commission and he now works for the WWP. If it wasn't for him, I might not be receiving the benefits I get from the VA. I would like to remind everyone, not all wounds are visible. He is an exceptionally stand up guy. While its hard to disprove this article, I can only go on what I know. You do have to prove time in service and deployments to be a part of the WWP. I get emails from them weekly about events going on locally to help vets reintegrate back into the civilian world, which is not an easy transition. I have been out since January 2007 and I still find it hard to deal with civilian life. I have been on multiple hunting trips that were sponsored by the WWP. As most of you have experienced, being out in the woods brings clarification, peace of mind and relaxation. I didn't start hunting until a few years ago, it has been a life saver. When I got out I struggled severely with drugs and alcohol. Getting and keeping a job, being out in public etc. WWP has helped provide programs to get me back on track. While its easy to bash them based on the article, it does help vets.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you for sharing Dustin. This is what I was saying. You know the possibility for corruption. You certainly hate to call out the whole program. I am not even sure which group I was helping. Had a guy call me. He was volunteering in the VET hunt. They were trying to recover some deer and looking for a dog. I brought Hank out to track. Not sure if it was WW or another one at this point. I honestly don't remember.

I re-read my post. I apologize if I mistyped. Given the info Dustin posted, I don't think WWP was the group that called to ask for a dog to track.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The Veterans should pull together and take that .org back.

Dustin I am glad they have done some positive in your life. Their payout to donation ratio is horrible and our protectors deserve better.

They are using Veterans to fill their pockets.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The Veterans should pull together and take that .org back.

Dustin I am glad they have done some positive in your life. Their payout to donation ratio is horrible and our protectors deserve better.

They are using Veterans to fill their pockets.

Ditto to everything Charles said here!