Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

300 Blackout

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Deer season is over and I'm back to my R&D work. Processing and loading 300 Blackout.
It takes 8 different processes from start to finish. Process is in house secret.

1. Military 5.56 (223) cleaned case
2. Processed into 300 BO case
3. Loaded 125 gr.
4. Loaded 220 gr. sub-sonic

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yes but these re-manufactured to factory specs are priced right. Hornady factory rounds are close to 2.00 per round when you can find them.
Our demand far out paces production.
Makes good deposits into my Africa hunt kitty.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
As soon as I saw your post Frank, I remembered a picture I came across when someone tried too chamber and fire a 300 BO in an AR chambered for 5.56.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419039154.144838.jpg

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Caught up on 300 BO processing and loadings. Now setting up for 44 Mag. and 45LC.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frank do you know what the fps would be in super sonic loading? One that you could use to hunt with taking full advantage of the heavier bullet but not indenting to use it with a surpressor.

Less than 1000 fps. What caliber? Not sure if you are schooled on using sub sonic or not. But large calibers are not silent when shot sub sonic with a suppressor. The hole is just too large and noise gets out.

Ok I see the 'not using a suppressor'. Any loading is going to be rather loud without a suppressor. But slow heavy bullets will have a short range rainbow path.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Had a fun day shooting 44 mag 240 gr. across the chonograph today. Working up a load for production. And get paid having fun and free ammo. Not what I shoot myself as I'm a cast bullet shooter only. Only jacketed pistol bullets I shoot are for CCW carry.
Load, shoot, and crony; load, shoot and crony. At least I only have couple feet between the load and shoot and no travel time.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would think a 7mm TCU would be a great round in a AR, far superior to a "fat" blackout

I shot the 7mm TCU years ago in a 10" Contender barrel. The 7MM TCU was designed for long distance metal target shooting and does well for medium weight hunting. The 300 BO is designed for short range animal or human control work.
Two different reasons for design. Most domestic 300 BO shooting is just banging away for fun. Suppressed 30 BO is awesome coyote rifle and I plan to do so.
The 7MM TCU has been a dead horse for years and will continue to be a dead horse.
Last year I designed 2 AR calibers based on the 223 case and they are both on the back burner by the company who requested them. And I assure you neither was a 7MM.
IMHO of course.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Frank,

I want to get interested in the 300BO but I just can't right now. Here is how I see the cartridge.
1.) Supersonic loadings have a limited range and not a great trajectory due to case volume limits.
2.) Subsonic loadings are great suppressed (as in almost scary stupid quiet in the right set up) but you are basically looking at 45ACP ballistics (230 grain bullet at subsonic velocity) but with the advantage of a rifle platform and a 30 round magazine.

What am I missing? I can see the advantages for a suppressed home defense rifle and for super secret ninja squirrel activities but I don't see being that great for hunting much past 150 yards suppressed or supersonic.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frank,

I want to get interested in the 300BO but I just can't right now. Here is how I see the cartridge.
1.) Supersonic loadings have a limited range and not a great trajectory due to case volume limits.
2.) Subsonic loadings are great suppressed (as in almost scary stupid quiet in the right set up) but you are basically looking at 45ACP ballistics (230 grain bullet at subsonic velocity) but with the advantage of a rifle platform and a 30 round magazine.

What am I missing? I can see the advantages for a suppressed home defense rifle and for super secret ninja squirrel activities but I don't see being that great for hunting much past 150 yards suppressed or supersonic.

I don't think you missed much there. In my mind it wasn't designed as a long range round. A near silent close range man killer I think was the original design. The 30 caliber bullet gives better down range ballistics than a 45ACP or 9MM slug. Plus just two easy push out pins and drop a 300BO upper on a AR lower and a new rifle design at low cost. And damn accurate to as our 50 yd. testing are all touching groups.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Okay, thanks. I agree that the ease of switching calibers with an AR15 is very nice. It is still on my list but I have other things to pursue first.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Another fun day loading, shooting the 44 mag and chonograph a new powder. Got it down to a good production load. Production starts tomorrow. Then it's working up a good 45LC load for the 250 gr. bullet and start that production.
Damn it don't they know it's food plot planting time!

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Sounds like fun!!! I need to get a new 44. Sold my two off when times got tough but still have around 700 rounds of ammo. Had a Super Blackhawk and a Redhawk. Thinkin my new one will be another Redhawk with the 7 1/2 inch barrel. Damn i just rememberd i also had a S-W 629 classic with the power port. It was nice but for the loads i shoot i like the Rugers strength.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've always enjoyed the 44 mag. I bought a SS Ruger Redhawk with scope setup the 1st year Ohio permitted handgun hunting and took a small buck that year. I put a 2 power Burris scope with dot on the pistol. With the Burris scope it was a compact setup as the scope fit between the front and rear sights without removing the sights. I took 19 deer with thr Redhawk using lead bullets before selling it in 2003 when I lost my eye sight due to MS problems.
I had bought my buddy's S&W Classic Deluxe with Weaver 50MM red dot scope. I used that pistol in 2000 to take a nice buck that won the Handgun International WT contest. I don't like the slippery round butt wood grips which I'm going to change over to Pacmyer grips but it's a keeper. My 15 yr. old grandson took his 1st handgun 9 pt. buck with it.
When my eyesight returned in 2005 I bought a Ruger SS Super Blackhawk scoped model with Bisley grips. I like the Bisley style of grips. It's a deer killer and it's also is a keeper. I have a 30MM red dot scope on it.

Couple years ago I bought a Ruger SS Super Blackhawk Bisley grip style iron sighted 5.5" in 45LC with a extra 45ACP cylinder. I took one deer with it just to say I took a deer with iron sights. Lead bullets again and it's a keeper.
That's the 45LC pistol I'll do the load development with for production.
I'm a lead bullet only shooter and use factory jacketed bullets only in my CCW carry pistol. Once the load development is completed I'll have to remove that evil copper fouling from both pistols to get them back to lead shooting bullets again.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got the 44 mag load for production done and machine adjusted for production. Did a short run today for retail sales and everything went perfect.
Tomorrow I'm setting the other machine up for 45LC with 230 gr. bullet.
Now those 2 monkeys are off my back until the next project. The African hunt kitty fund is building.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Always loved loading the magnums since there was no way you were going to double charge one since the regular charge was almost to the top of the case. One thing though is you sure go through the powder fast lol. Your having a lot of fun Frank!!!!