Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Midwest whitetail

Kaiser878

ohio
I'll start by saying I have been watching this series for about 6 years. I really like it.

But lately I must admit I'm kinda disappointed in some of these new people they are adding on the show. For example the Byers couple on the main show..... I thinking makes the show look shotty. And there were a couple more episodes I thought this about. I just can't think of them off the top of my head. Anyone else notice this or think this?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I used to learn about some things on the show but lately I'm having a hard time relating to their type of hunting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Agreed. That new couple doesn't impress me. For me, it started with the dissolution of the state shows and creation of the regional show. I enjoy some of the content now, but it was much better in 2008-2012.

Kaiser878

ohio
I mean seriously. Guys wounding deer with 30-06s. Does being shot with ARs. I mean next they will start dumping tinks 69 and using the can call. Its slowing deteriorating in production.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I used to watch it online every once in a while. Now I just watch HB online and that is it. No other show captures what hunting is, and should be in my opinion.

Huckleberry Finn

I religiously watched it when it was the state shows, now not so much. I could care less about watching a New Jersey buck get killed.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure I have seen it recently. That is a shame to hear. Very few hunting shows teach you much anymore. Not that any of them "teach" a lot, but I like hearing explanations of why they are doing something or their strategy/tactics. Sitting in a blind/stand and shooting deer while painting with broad strokes of the brush comments like "this is why we manage our properties" or "these food plots are really drawing them in" isn't a learning experience to me. Tell me why you planted the plot where you did. Tell me what changes to the property you made to "manage" them. Explain why your stand is where it is. Don't just make generic statements.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I still watch it but I only watch the EAST SHOW.

I have met Jason Huntsman (host of EAST show), and he is a really good person! I know he hunts hard, and doesnt have access to land like some of the main guys in IOWA do.

Overall I think its a pretty good product, but I can only speak to the EAST show.

Hands down the best Online show is Growingdeer.tv Dr. Grant Woods does pimp some products but not that bad. I have also written to him on facebook and things with generic questions about land mgt. He will respond, and give great adivce, tips, etc. I highly suggest this show everyone on this site. They normally do trapping episods, burn episods, food plots, stand placement, ageing deer, etc.

hope this helps some!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I wish I had the time and money to make a show. I wouldn't kill shit. But it would be funny. Haha

I have also thougt this same thing myself. I would never kill a big buck on film haha but I bet I would be entertaining. Just dont have the time to put into it, espically for what you will get out of it. (most of the time)

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Always liked that show and HB also like major league bowhunter. But most shows are crap pimping products more than the hunt itself. I found out that nick Mundt killed a big one on a place we lost this past summer due to leasing. Hoping to get it back this year because the guy that leased it wasn't suppose to bring anyone but him and his wife there.

Kaiser878

ohio
Always liked that show and HB also like major league bowhunter. But most shows are crap pimping products more than the hunt itself. I found out that nick Mundt killed a big one on a place we lost this past summer due to leasing. Hoping to get it back this year because the guy that leased it wasn't suppose to bring anyone but him and his wife there.
Well he was hunting with brad snow. So I assume brad snow was the leaser. He owns kill in bucks outfitters.