Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Watch out for owls

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My buddies mom had her Yorkie attacked by an big owl last night at 9pm. Her dog was lucky. The neighbors dog got hit at 11pm and wasn't so lucky. I guess he was tore up pretty bad.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
That's crazy. Sounds like a juvenile bird that is starving if it's going after little dogs.

The owl was prbly minding his own business perched on a branch and that little yorkie prbly wouldn't stop yapping...just sayin.

Mike,

we had a couple of hawks show up in my back yard last summer, one found a rabbit and was perched on top of it in my neighbors backyard...she often lets her cat outside to roam around a little...I let her continue to do so a few more times before I told her about the hawks...wish that would have worked out in my favor.

sorry, I got nothing owl related.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The owl was prbly minding his own business perched on a branch and that little yorkie prbly wouldn't stop yapping...just sayin.

I would have to agree lmao. My one set of in laws has one and I had a neighbor growing up that had 2 of them and I don't think any of them know how to STFU lmao. I don't like the little yappers either lol.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hide ya kids, hide ya wife!

Hide the carcass lol.... Years ago we had an owl in a city park that decided it liked city squirrels..... All was well until families with their kids witnessed the carnage during the day while in the park lol.... Oh kids look at the squirrel.... Swoop, snatch and devoir..... That didn't go on for long, then the DNR showed up and "relocated" the little rascal....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418778337.903883.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
When I was a kid, we had a big bard owl that discovered the abundant food source at our bird feeder. He hung out for the last half of winter every couple of days... waiting from a about 15 yards away. All you would see was a blur and a few feathers floating to the ground as it would take birds or a squirrel right off the feeder.

About 7-8 years ago we had a Red tail hawk build a nest in one of the largest pines in the yard. She did some real damage to my fox squirrel community that frequented the bird feeder but she never took any directly from the feeder that I saw but would just hammer the ones crossing the yard to and from it.

Both of the stories above were fascinating to watch from the window of the house.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Hey Big Bro ( CJD ) do you remember the owl that swept down in the row of pines by Mom's house and the drive way when we were kids that nailed the rabbit? Did not see the owl swoop down but heard that dang rabbit scream and saw the action from that part on.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Hey Big Bro ( CJD ) do you remember the owl that swept down in the row of pines by Mom's house and the drive way when we were kids that nailed the rabbit? Did not see the owl swoop down but heard that dang rabbit scream and saw the action from that part on.

I do!