Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody ever had shoulder surgery?

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I'm having my left shoulder operated on 2 weeks from today and I was wondering if anyone here has had the same surgery? I've got a torn rotator cuff, arthritis of the AC joint and some bone spurs that need to be removed. Doctor says I'm relatively young at 42 to have this much damage but he said it's probably from years of throwing a baseball. I've been a pitcher at one level or another since I was 10 years old and Ive always loved to throw. Anyways I'm just wondering if any of you can give me an idea of what to expect as far as recovery? I've been told by the doctor its 6 weeks of the arm in a sling and no movement at all. After that it's 6 more weeks of limited movement. He says I should be 90% recovered in 4 - 6 months but 100% recovery could take as much as a year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Yeah, good luck. I hate hearing this, but at least it should be fixed before next season.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
My cousin had it done in September and was back out gun hunting a few weeks ago. He healed quick. My wife had it done her Jr year in high school from pitching in softball. Was back playing the following year. And she could still throw the ball 65 after surgery.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Not going to lie that will be a fringe benefit. Of course the kids could never hit my stuff anyways. [emoji1]

Lol! They hate my change up.

I've always said there's two things I hate about coaching baseball.
1. Parents
2. Throwing BP.

Good luck on the surgery. Hope you recover just fine. Who knows? Maybe you'll be like that kid in Rookie of the Year and come back throwing 99.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Lol! They hate my change up.

I've always said there's two things I hate about coaching baseball.
1. Parents
2. Throwing BP.

Good luck on the surgery. Hope you recover just fine. Who knows? Maybe you'll be like that kid in Rookie of the Year and come back throwing 99.

"That kid threw a frozen rope from centerfield" John Candy

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
Make sure you have a comfortable recliner to sleep in, I think I spent two weeks in mine before I was able to sleep in bed. It hurts like hell but is worth getting it done. It took me a year to heal back to "normal" but they still ache at times. My Dr. said the next go around will be a replacement so I have been trying to take it easy on them. I had both of mine done back to back. That was a long year of physical therapy. Take the meds if you have to but I had heard too many stories of people getting hooked on them so I really regulated what I took and for how long, they tend to give you way more meds than you need imo.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Ive been putting it off for a few years. Knew something was wrong but hoped it would go away. Finally had an MRI in October and it confirmed it. I scheduled surgery between the end of bow season and start of baseball season. I'm hoping I can at least hit fungos when we start practice the 3rd week of March.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Let me know how it goes. Should finally get mine done sometime in January. The ortho told me it would be 4-6 months before I would be back to doing my work again.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
If you are offered a nerve block for post operative pain I highly recommend you get it. If you have questions about the anesthesia for the procedure just ask.

teej89

NE PA
Take the meds if you have to but I had heard too many stories of people getting hooked on them so I really regulated what I took and for how long, they tend to give you way more meds than you need imo.

AJ, if you have some left over leave em in the TOO Box Game and send that box down my way lmao

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Both my mother and father in law had them done the last 2 years. As Swanny said, a comfortable recliner. I had to lend out mine to them so they could sleep. I know they were in a shit ton of pain