Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is my shot gun safe to use after a bolt handle weld job- see photos please

catsmeow

VT
I need some advice about my old mossberg 410 bolt 3 shot 183D-D
I bought this gun years ago and shot it about 30 times total I even tried slugs. I use 3 inch super x Winchester no 6 shot lead.
the bolt handle had been welded on many years ago I don't know why or who but is still the same
what my question is is it safe to use like this here are 2 photos of it . I would appreciate some advice .

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I won't pass judgment. The bolt is the only recoil lug there is. If that lug falls the bolt will come back and hit you in the head. Not good.
Look for a differant bolt and maybe 30-40 cost. The gun is only worth 130-150 in good shape.

Last edited:

catsmeow

VT
I won't pass judgment. The bolt is the only recoil lug there is. If that lug falls the bolt will come back and hit you in the head. Not good.
Look for a different bolt and maybe 30-40 cost. The gun is only worth 130-150 in good shape.
that's what I do not-like about this set up , its the only thing holding that bolt from coming backward, no internal locking type on this model
Thanks. what do you think I can get for it as is about $70.00
I can get a Rossi new single shot single shot for $129,00 with a rebate right now and be safe forever right ?:smiley_clap:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Look for a differant bolt and maybe 30-40 cost. The gun is only worth 130-150 in good shape.

I agree. If there is no internal locking lug there is no way in hell I would trust a weld job to keep my eyesight or life safe. Better to not trust it and get another bolt.

catsmeow

VT
I agree. If there is no internal locking lug there is no way in hell I would trust a weld job to keep my eyesight or life safe. Better to not trust it and get another bolt.

well I been figuring out that a new bolt If I can find one almost impossible and ten it may be used no good for me it would have to be new. and the age of the gun and non-trust of the bolt on it I may just get a cheap Rossi single shot and not have any worries no more . and sell this one with telling the buyer its functional but would be safe with a newer bolt . even if I got $50 bucks for it , an not a lot of shipping cost or may put it in a local paper . so thanks for your help , losing half your face is not good

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would not take the liability of selling it with that bolt. IMHO
Should sell for 50.00 or so with no bolt.

well I been figuring out that a new bolt If I can find one almost impossible and ten it may be used no good for me it would have to be new. and the age of the gun and non-trust of the bolt on it I may just get a cheap Rossi single shot and not have any worries no more . and sell this one with telling the buyer its functional but would be safe with a newer bolt . even if I got $50 bucks for it , an not a lot of shipping cost or may put it in a local paper . so thanks for your help , losing half your face is not good

catsmeow

VT
I would not take the liability of selling it with that bolt. IMHO
Should sell for 50.00 or so with no bolt.

you are right I would have to take out that bolt and get rid of it , that's a safety good idea .thank you

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Some bolt handles are silver soldered, like a Remington 788. No ideas of whether the mossberg was soldered or welded at the factory.
I would not shoot that gun since you have no way of know who did the repair.

catsmeow

VT
Some bolt handles are silver soldered, like a Remington 788. No ideas of whether the mossberg was soldered or welded at the factory.
I would not shoot that gun since you have no way of know who did the repair.

to antiqucycle
Thanks for your suggestion I have decided not to use it and buying a new shotgun to be safe than sorry ,not selling it either. just hanging it on the wall to look at without a bolt in it