Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Question about Mossberg 500 barrels.

CKelhoffer91

I'm in southwest Ohio (south of Dayton) and I have a 12 ga Mossberg 500 with the 18.5 in barrel. My question is, does anyone know where I can buy a 22"-28" smooth bore barrel with choke in my area or does anyone have one to sell? I've checked the major sporting goods stores in the Dayton mall area (field and stream, Dicks) any help would be appreciated.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Send MK111 a PM. Frank isn't far from you and has quite a Mossberg knowledge. It might be of the older Mossbergs, but he probably has some connections if he doesn't have a barrel sitting around. He is a great resource of knowledge for our site.

CKelhoffer91

Send MK111 a PM. Frank isn't far from you and has quite a Mossberg knowledge. It might be of the older Mossbergs, but he probably has some connections if he doesn't have a barrel sitting around. He is a great resource of knowledge for our site.

Thanks for info. I tried messaging him but his inbox is full. Hopefully he will see this post and be able to help me out a bit.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hmm Jesse was supposed to fix my PM storage box. So maybe he'll see this post to remind himself. LOL just kidding Jesse.

I'll check tomorrow but I think all the barrels we have laying around here have no screw in chokes.
ASAP

I checked our 4 Dist. warehouses and they don't have even one Mossberg barrel in stock.

Thanks for info. I tried messaging him but his inbox is full. Hopefully he will see this post and be able to help me out a bit.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Is the 18.5 rifled? Do you want to keep it? If not I might have one I can trade you. I also have the standard three chokes and a jelly head turkey choke to go with it. It's a vented rib barrel, factory ported, with the two bead sight. I painted it with generic camo paint but it's in good condition. I painted it because I used it for years for turkey hunting and as we know it always rains during turkey season and Mossbergs tend to rust before you even get them home. Lol. If your interested I'll clean the paint off with mineral oil and let you take a look at it. Worst case it'll need reblued depending on what it takes to get the paint off. I've retired the gun to a trunk gun and put a collapsible stock, pistol grip pump and shell holder on it. I was going to cut that barrel to 18.5. I'm right over from you in north springfield.

CKelhoffer91

Is the 18.5 rifled? Do you want to keep it? If not I might have one I can trade you. I also have the standard three chokes and a jelly head turkey choke to go with it. It's a vented rib barrel, factory ported, with the two bead sight. I painted it with generic camo paint but it's in good condition. I painted it because I used it for years for turkey hunting and as we know it always rains during turkey season and Mossbergs tend to rust before you even get them home. Lol. If your interested I'll clean the paint off with mineral oil and let you take a look at it. Worst case it'll need reblued depending on what it takes to get the paint off. I've retired the gun to a trunk gun and put a collapsible stock, pistol grip pump and shell holder on it. I was going to cut that barrel to 18.5. I'm right over from you in north springfield.

Sadly my barrel is not rifled. But if you're still interested in selling I may be able to buy later this week. How long is your barrel and is it smoothbore?

CKelhoffer91

Also another question someone might be able to help with. My shotgun has the 5 shot magazine tube, will I be able to put any mossberg 500 barrel on it?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sadly my barrel is not rifled. But if you're still interested in selling I may be able to buy later this week. How long is your barrel and is it smoothbore?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking for a 18.5 inch smoothbore. But only in trade as I need to replace it with an 18.5 as my intent was to cut the 28 inch barrel to finish making it a trunk gun. It's a smoothbore 28 inch, vent rib, two bead sight, factory ported barrel.

CKelhoffer91

Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking for a 18.5 inch smoothbore. But only in trade as I need to replace it with an 18.5 as my intent was to cut the 28 inch barrel to finish making it a trunk gun. It's a smoothbore 28 inch, vent rib, two bead sight, factory ported barrel.

Ahh yes, my barrel is the smooth bore self defense barrel. I would be interested in trade if you were. I've never fired the shotgun so the barrel is brand new. I'll PM you my number and maybe we could exchange some pictures, and possibly find a halfway point to meet if we wanted to trade with each other. I'm working 7-530 today so I wouldn't be able to send pics until I got home

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hmm Jesse was supposed to fix my PM storage box. So maybe he'll see this post to remind himself. LOL just kidding Jesse.

I'll check tomorrow but I think all the barrels we have laying around here have no screw in chokes.
ASAP

I checked our 4 Dist. warehouses and they don't have even one Mossberg barrel in stock.

Done.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Gun shows are your best bet for finding what you want. Ebay may have them but you never know what your getting till it comes in the mail. Check Arms list too.