Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Binocular recommendations

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Fluteman turned us onto the deal on Cabelas for Vortex binos. It was appreciated but I am not sure it was what I needed. Excellent deal for anyone who jumped on it.

Needs: Binos strictly for long range. Looking for road scouting binoculars. Good low light capabilities. Good magnification. Good clarity.

Price: Under $300

I purchased a 10x50 Vortex Diamondback and they arrived today. Used them for last light road scouting next to my Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42. Better light transmission/low light pick up on the Nikon 8x42s. Difference in magnification was really not noticeable.

Thinking of jumping to 12x50 Vortex Diamondbacks. I fear they will not be bright enough in low light. Did some reading. Seems light transmission can be measured 42/8= 5.25 whereas 50/12= 4.167. How does this compare? I really don't know but in the 10x50 Diamondbacks I ordered, it was a noticeable difference compared to the 8x42.

Thoughts? Opinions? I really don't want to jump to the next level. I "could" I suppose. I simply cannot justify jumping to the next level. $450-650 for binoculars simply to road scout? I just can't justify it. Would the extra magnification of the 12x50 Diamondbacks offset the lesser low light abilities? I can return the 10x50 Diamondbacks and for an extra $10 jump to the 12x50 Diamondbacks.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Objective size / magnification = x. The higher "x" the better light transmission to your eyes. That's why your 8x42s seemed to gather more light than the 10x50s. If you buy 12x50s the magnification will be stronger but light transmission will be even worse. It's a trade off.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Objective size / magnification = x. The higher "x" the better light transmission to your eyes. That's why your 8x42s seemed to gather more light than the 10x50s. If you buy 12x50s the magnification will be stronger but light transmission will be even worse. It's a trade off.

Jager has it....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang. So ideally, to get the same low light capabilities, I need a bigger objective than 50mm. 12x63 would give me the same light transmission as my 8x42. "Exit pupil" I think is the measurement they are referring to in the "objective divided by magnification" formula. I tried to find some Nikon Monarch, EDG, or Prostaff with 12x56 as this would get me closer. Apparently they don't make the 12x56 anymore. Wasn't on Nikon website.

I guess this brings the next question: Will a 12x50 or 12x56 give enough additional magnification to justify the purchase? 10x50 wasn't much bigger than 8x42. I realize it will make an object appear 12x bigger than it appears. Just not sure if this is going to be any more noticeable than the 10x or 8x. Am I going to need to go to a spotting scope to get a desired magnification difference?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yeah, it sucks but if you are doing much road or long range scouting a spotting scope with a tripod and window mount would be a must. $300 doesn't really get you the quality I think you would expect.

One I would look at if I were you is the Alpen package that comes with everything. Can be had for under $300 on EBay. After that I would be looking Vortex Diamondbacks but they run more.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Charles. Not sure I am ready to go the spotting scope route for the reason you mentioned. I doubt $300 or less would do it. I would want to spend it once, but cry once. With Cabelas rebate code for $20 off/free shipping, my gift certificate, and Cabelas bucks, I can be in the Vortex Diamonback 12x50 for $131. Maybe a bit more. Not sure if I will be forced to pay return postage on the 10x50's I am sending back. Do you think the 12x50 will be noticeable over the 8x42? Last light/low light sacrifice will have to be made. Other option is the pair of Nikon's I saw on ebay in 12x56. This will get me the magnification with a little better low light. I have confidence in Nikon. I am sure the Vortex Diamondbacks are comparable to the Monarchs, but the larger objective wins.