Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How to Clean a European Mount......Cool!!

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
[video]http://hunting.scout.com/story/1476717?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=Fastest+Way+Clean+Deer+Skull&utm_campaign=Hunting+Marketing[/video]

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I use a pressure washer too, but I also cook it first. If you look at his skull, all of the delicate nasal bones are gone. I can use my electric pressure washer and keep those key bones intact.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Here's a mount I just completed for a friend. IMG_20141210_173104643.jpg

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Do you use peroxide?
Yes. I use a 40 or 50 strength gel peroxide from the beauty supply store. Paint in on, making sure to hit every nook and cranny, and let sit for a few hours. Pour some down the sinus cavity and brain case. I usually rinse it and coat it thoroughly a second time and let it sit for another few hours. After you rinse a second time, it's bone white.

BTW, prior to this last skull, I would usually use a 3/8" spade bit to mash the brains, but a pressure washer makes short work and they disintegrate easily after cooking.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I used peroxide gel from hair supply shop. I also cooked it in mixture of water and dawn dishsoap. This combo will make the skull a nice and white color.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418503974478.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418503974478.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 116
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418503996507.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418503996507.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 120

Derek j

Knox Co.
Forgot to add that it is sitting on one of the skull hooker mounts. Very nice and it can rotate to point wherever you want

jeremy44230

Medina County
I used to have dermestid beetles to do my dirty work. They are long since gone. I still do a handful of skulls for folks. I macerate them now and get to enjoy the wonderful sights and smells of rotting flesh and brains....

Dawn is one of the best, cheapest and easiest ways to degrease.

I too use the hair stuff for the hydrogen peroxide to whiten. I've used some 27% hydrogen peroxide from a pool store, but it's liquid and harder to control. The hair stuff is good.

Be careful using heat or do it slow and low. The sensitive bones near and around noses will separate. You can also lose the definition inside the nasal cavity.