Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arizona desert Mule deer.......Round 2

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
With last years trip to the desert still fresh in my mind, and a constant desire to return, I Knew that it was just a matter of when I would be making that trip again. That being in the first part of November last year. As spring came around this year I received a call from my uncle, asking if I was going to apply for a rifle tag this year and reminding me that it was time to do so. Of course my reply was yes! We had a discussion on what season to try for, and agreed on only applying for there first hunt and to pass on the rest. The reasoning on this was that,if you think that the deer population here is low, try wandering around the desert for a while. The highest success rate is in the first season, chances really drop into the next two. But, in January archery season starts with an over the counter tag, along with there Rut which brings in new bucks looking for place to stake there own. With that said, I could always keep Archery season on the back burner.

Fast forward to August, with high anticipation I logged into the AZFG site to only find out that I was a loser this year. Last year I was the only one that got drawn out of my Uncles hunting partners, this year I was the only one not to get drawn. So here I sit with an AZ hunting license and no tag to use it on. As our season was just getting close, I got pre occupied and lost thought of hunting out west. After a few weeks into our season, I had called him to see how things where looking out there and to tell him how our hunting was here. He would always end the phone call with, Well are you going to try and come shoot one with a bow. My reply would always be " I will have to look into it" or something along those lines. I really had no intentions on making it happen this year, life had just fully got into the way.

As I was running about a week ago, that little devil had jumped onto my shoulder and erased any thought that I had been thinking of. The only thing at that point, I could think of was getting back to Arizona to hunt with my uncle, and that I was taking my son with me. I decided that Levi ( my son) needed to get to know John in his element before its to late. I tried to forget about it but, I couldn't. So I call my wife and tell her, that I want to take Levi to AZ, she said okay. I said no next month, I've got to go, she says well have fun, Levi will love it. I don't know what the hell that was about but, ill take it!

Long and the short of that ramble, in 29 days from now my ass along with my son will be sitting in Arizona. We will be leaving January 9 and coming back on the 18th. I thought that I would put this together, to keep you guys updated as I did last time.

JOHNROHIO

Once again, nothing goes as planned in my world.. plane out of cbus was 1.5 hours late leaving due to mechanical issues. There for levi and I missed our connection into yuma. We have been put on standby for all the next flights. Oh joy! If we do not make the next flight we will be renting a car and seeing how fast we can make the 2.5 hr car trip .

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Once again, nothing goes as planned in my world.. plane out of cbus was 1.5 hours late leaving due to mechanical issues. There for levi and I missed our connection into yuma. We have been put on standby for all the next flights. Oh joy! If we do not make the next flight we will be renting a car and seeing how fast we can make the 2.5 hr car trip .
Nothing goes as planned? You are allergic to plans...they are just getting you back. Lol

JOHNROHIO

Nothing goes as planned? You are allergic to plans...they are just getting you back. Lol
That is true, I can not get mad! You are very true in the fact that I'm usually flying by the seat of my pants.

There are no "open" seats till tomorrow

JOHNROHIO

If we don't make this one, he will drive up or I will rent a car, and drop it off at yuma airport and pick up my shit, as it gets on this plane even if I dont.