Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting with the hounds 2014/2015

yotehunter

spencerville oh
We'll its that time of year again. We are going to get after the coyotes starting Friday.We seen several during last weeks gun season so we are going to start in those areas. We know of about 7 different ones. So we will see what happens Friday. The dogs will probably be a little rusty only being ran a couple time in the pen this summer. I hoping my 16 month old dog turns on this year. And our group also had another litter of pups out of our two best dogs but they are only 5 months old. So this year and next will be a lot of training for us it should be interesting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looking forward to it. I definitely need to meet up with you this year to watch them run.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Didn't get any pics but we did kill one coyote today. We hunted till 3:00 before we jumped one. We hunted hard and couldn't get anything jumped and finally we jumped one off a small river section the dogs ran it out of the section into another were we knocked it down . We got the pups out and they affected it out. The old dog went back into the first section and low and behold jumped a second one. He took it to the road and he lost the track when he crossed the road. So we watched the coyote go two sections west into a section we already hunted. So we regrouped and started into the section, the dogs had trouble running the cold track and we couldn't get the second one jumped again. By this time it was about dark and too late to go through the section again to try and jump it. So we ended up just getting one today.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Kinda late on the last weekends report. But here it is Friday we jumped a pair of fox and ran the one around for about two hours.We never did get him and the female hit the hole as soon as we jumped her. The male took the dogs around the section two times and we just couldn't hit the little devil hard enough to keep him down. I rolled him once and he was rolled another time after I hit him both was 75 yard shots with 00 buck but it wasn't enough to put him down. Saturday I had other arrangements so I didn't go but the guys did jump a coyote and they didn't get it they aren't sure where it got to and the dogs had trouble with running the track after the frost lifted. So this weekend was a big goose egg. IMG_20141222_141611.jpgIMG_20141222_141724.jpg This is a six month old pup out of our two best dogs. We had a leading lesson today and I'm not sure who won ,my boy Jace or skeeter the pup lol. Can't wait for him to get a little bigger and start running a track with the old dogs.This litter of seven pups should be something special.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Well no pics but we did kill another coyote today. I had to leave early do too prior arrangements. And sure enough the guys jumped one the next section they went to it ended up going about 6 miles before they killed it and the dogs caught up with it.From the sounds of it they had a good chase and the dogs did a hell of a job. That makes number 4 for the year so far. A two inch snow would do us wonders.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Don't know the details yet but the crew put 3 more coyotes down today. I didn't make it out due to a bad fugging chest cold. I will find out out the details and post them after I get the details.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I haven't kept up this thread very well this year but the guys killed a fox yesterday and two coyotes today. I've been busy in the plow truck and haven't been able to hunt much but these two today make numbers 8 and 9 so far. And one fox.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Well this morning started kinda of slow. A lot of old tracks and a few decent ones. We hunted a section that had tracks coming and going. But it was a bust. So we headed north to a section that always seems to have a fox or coyote in it. We took 3 16 month old dogs and there older mom in and myself and two more walkers. The first woods was a dud, we kept walking the dogs south. And sure enough the old dog hit a track in the second woods and she barked a few times. As we get to the south side of the second woods too wait on the dogs a buddy walked back to the third and last woods in the section to post up.As he did out popped the coyote heading south. With no dogs on it, it went south two miles and held up in a small woods. As everybody left too keep track of the coyote, the old dog ran two more out that went out north. So we caught her on the track at the north road because we don't have permission in that section. So as the one coyote went south we dumped two young dogs on it where it went into the section it was in. They ran the track back too the woods and out comes the coyote. It crossed the south road and we dumped two more dogs on it and the four dogs took it two more sections south and west and they lost it. So we took a old dog back too the woods and set up posters. After 6 miles one of the posters put it down with the rifle when the old dog bring it out. The young dogs did a hell of a job on this one. We could of killed it several times but we wanted to get the young dogs some training and they did a great job. Hopefully a few more tomarrowIMG_20150116_153957.jpgIMG_20150116_153948.jpg That hole is from a 25 06 at about 250 yards its a nasty hole lol.