Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

.357 maximum

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I want one....mainly for my son but regardless ..Where can I get one ? Or do I need to buy a Magnum and have it machined.

The easy answer is no there is not any rifle currently produced that is chambered in the maximum. Ruger made a limited run of no. 1 rifles. There are some tc encore barrels floating around. Both of those options are rare or rare and expenesive to come by. The least expensive option would be having a h&r single shot .357 mag rechambered to .357 max. It is also possible to rechamber marlin 336 and winchester 94 leveractions in the .357 max but you would have to find a more experienced gun smith and likely send the rifle out of state.

Lundy

By far the easiest is to purchase a H&R .357 magnum and have it reamed ($80-$100) to .357 Maximum, You then need to find the brass and load your own bullets. Really nice shooting guns

However H&R apparently is stopping production of all HandiRifles and shotguns effective Dec 6. You would have to find one already out there somewhere because they won't be making anymore from what I have read

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Used to tI have it in a contender pistol. Great cartridge. Definitely hand load as you can adjust the load for what you child is comfortable with. Really packs a punch on a whitetail.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Copy that . My wifes uncle has several pistols in this round . He has been touting the max for yrs and he said he'd reload whatever i need . I'll start searching around .. thanks

Huckleberry Finn

By far the easiest is to purchase a H&R .357 magnum and have it reamed ($80-$100) to .357 Maximum, You then need to find the brass and load your own bullets. Really nice shooting guns

However H&R apparently is stopping production of all HandiRifles and shotguns effective Dec 6. You would have to find one already out there somewhere because they won't be making anymore from what I have read

What, really?

Bullshit. I'm still kicking the fact I passed on a HandiRifle in .22-250 for $125...heavy barrel and all. And that was at least 3 years ago!

I never been a huge fan of the h&r single shots compared to other older single shots. Like the iver Johnsons stevens and winchesters. However i did like one version of the handi rifle that was around the 2008 time frame. It was a western style stocked 16 inch barreled handi rifle with pretty nice case colored receiver chambered in 45 lc. I bought a marlin 336 as my first rifle instead.

Lundy

I have two of the H&R slug shotguns , a 12 and a 20 and this year acquired 2 .357 maximums and a .444 Marlin.

All if these guns are extremely accurate. The .357's are shooting around 1" at 150 yds and have plenty of giddy up with the 180 gr bullet

I am glad I purchased them this year

Lundy

That is an Old topper model that hasn't been made in years. You don't know if it was born a .357 maximum or as a .357 magnum and modified. It has the barrel ring on it for a sling connection, not my favorite way to mount a sling for the best accuracy, but the biggest reason of all is the condition of this gun on the exterior is very rough at best. That would lead me to question the barrel condition. Did this gun start as a topper shotgun? The scope rail certainly doesn't look to be factory installed. Did someone add a rifle barrel to a shotgun frame against manufacturer recommendations? At $300 I wouldn't buy it, You just have no way of knowing what you are buying. especially when I have purchased 2 H&R Handi-Rifles, .357 maximum, in excellent condition, with a decent scope for $300-$400 this past year. Or purchase a new H&R HandiRilfe in .357 Magnum($275.00) and have it reamed by a gunsmith ($80.00) and have a brand new gun and some confidence (stay in one piece) it what you are shooting when you pull the trigger.

redeye33

Well i guess the original poster that asked where he could find one for sale would have to ask the seller those questions,. I just answered his question as to where he could find one. However, it is already gone. Sold pretty quick. I also did a little research and have found that the vast majority of people that own these guns are very happy with them, even today. Almost no negative reports or complaints from what I have read. At $300, you dont have to buy it but a lot of other people would.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Wasn't me ....lol . Thanks for the help . My wifes uncle has a Contender in Max and a couple Dan Wesson revolvers . He said he'd reload whatever I needed ammo wise . Worst case I'll just try and get a mag and have it reemed

Lundy

If you want your son to shoot one of mine to make sure that is what you want just let me know.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I appreciate that , he is 3-5 yrs from being able to carry a weapon while hunting since he's only 5 now . Just looking ahead since guns don't seem to be getting cheaper . Hopefully by the time he's mature enough to hunt the herd will be rebounded a little