Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Montana Elk

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been reading a good bit since receiving a Kindle and I've finished 3 of Steven Rinella's books this month. He has ignited a fire from coals that have always been smoldering inside me. After finishing the last book, I talked to the wife and I've decided that I'm going to spend my 35th birthday (2017) in the back country of Montana chasing elk, whitetails and mule deer with my bow. I've been doing a little research to wrap my head around the whole idea and have a lot more to do yet. Looking for advice on how to go through this process. I know Kaiser has been, so I was hoping you and I could talk some time when you get time. Or feel free to post here. Suggestions on travel, gear to pack, how to get meat home, and of course the license/tag process are welcome.

I'm looking to satisfy an urge to get away from it all. To sleep under the stars. I want to hear an elk bugle. I want to experience something new. If we don't kill an animal, so be it. Bringing home meat will just be a bonus.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Cant speak for Montana but Colorado was an awesome adventure. I spent approximately 6 days on public land.
It was an adventure of a lifetime and I plan on doing it again in a couple years.

As far as gear if Montana is like Colorado, you have to plan for most any weather. Seems like it can change from hour to hour.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Gear depends on the time of year and I would suggest end of September beginning of October. Your going to need some durable but comfortable boots and again time of year will dictate the kind of boot your going to need. If you go Sept. or Oct. you will be fine with a good waterproof hiking boot. Later season your going to need a good insulated waterproof boot in the 10-12" range. Depending on where your going you might want some rattle snake leg guards. Fuggers are everywhere lol. Your going to be humping some hills and putting in some miles so make sure your gear is comfortable but light. It's nothing to drop off the peak and down into the timber 2500-4000ft. below you just to hump back up the other side of the valley. Hope you don't mind a couple hours on horseback. Most of the good camps are a few hours ride from the trailhead. Weather can change in the blink of an eye in the fall and be sunshine and 50's and 20 minutes later be snowing sideways and in the 20's. If your going through a guide service they will more then likely send you a list of must have gear. A good spotting scope and binoculars are a must but again check with the outfitter as they may already have them. You can spend hours looking from the top of a hill into the bottom or the far side of the valley. A lot of spot and stalk out there and then hump a good clip in a short amount of time to cut them off.

You will have a fuggin blast and love every minute of it. From the scenery to the smells of the pines. You will make a 2nd trip so count on it.

Oh, and I would look at the NW and western edge of the state. Bitterroot area and the Selway are awesome. And don't forget a fly rod!!!

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Seems like Arizona is good for elk too but would not bebthe same with the woods and mountains. I need to do a bucket list hunt soon even if it's just PA or NY

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
This will be self guided.

Get good spotting scope and binoculars and a good GPS. Get a topo of the area and make sure you leave a copy with family at home of the area you are planning to hunt. Also, if you park and take off on a trail make sure to leave a copy with your intended trail on the dashboard. Make sure to check in with somebody and let them know your going out and what time you expect to return or plan on calling to check in with them. This way just incase there is an issue your not stuck for 12+hrs. before anybody decides to start looking for you. Lake Como has a lot of public hunting ground and plenty of campsites. I would also take a good handgun with you for protection. There are plenty of critters out there that might want to snack on you like Grizzly, black bear, wolves, and Mt. Lions. Good backpack with a comfortable sturdy frame. I will see if I can find my cheat sheet of gear and post it up tomorrow. Might give you some ideas of what you might need.

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have been and I'd tell you to go with and outfitter first or go rifle season. I was in good shape and got my arsenhanded to me. Altitude is nothing you can compare too. OUt fitters also have all the gear.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Get good spotting scope and binoculars and a good GPS. Get a topo of the area and make sure you leave a copy with family at home of the area you are planning to hunt. Also, if you park and take off on a trail make sure to leave a copy with your intended trail on the dashboard. Make sure to check in with somebody and let them know your going out and what time you expect to return or plan on calling to check in with them. This way just incase there is an issue your not stuck for 12+hrs. before anybody decides to start looking for you. Lake Como has a lot of public hunting ground and plenty of campsites. I would also take a good handgun with you for protection. There are plenty of critters out there that might want to snack on you like Grizzly, black bear, wolves, and Mt. Lions. Good backpack with a comfortable sturdy frame. I will see if I can find my cheat sheet of gear and post it up tomorrow. Might give you some ideas of what you might need.

Since your doing self guided your going to need to take some of the stuff on the do not bring list. I would also agree with Milo for a first trip and go with an outfitter. I'm not saying you can't do a DIY hunt but it would limit the stuff you would need to supply and give you a better chance at knocking one down plus thy have kept tabs and know where the local herds are hanging out. They will also provide the kitchen bitch and food as well as your tent and a bunch of other stuff. This way your not hauling everything and the kitchen sink for the trip out and into the hills. Like Eric said, those hills are an ass kicker lol.

teej89

NE PA
Pretty sure montana is you buy an OTC elk tag and it's good for all seasons like our Either sex deer tag.... and i'm with eric. Maybe check out an outfitter. It sounds great and all but it could turn miserable pretty fast, especially lack of oxygen.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
The first time you spend two hours hiking to the top of a frost covered sage flat; sweating, heart pounding, and out of breath due to the attitude. That feeling the first time you hear an elk bugle across a frost covered sage flat as the rising sun relieves the full moon who stood guard through the frozen night. The first time you smell the overwhelming stench of rutting elk and your heart pounding out of your chest as Gods majestic creation walks into view....... Then and only then will you know and you will never be the same.

I swear, I could care less about whitetail deer. Sure I'd love to kill a 150 inch buck, but spend some time out west and you will be a changed man........

Then again, maybe I'm just crazy...... LOL

BTW if you want some company in 2017 give me a holler.... ;)IMG_0535.jpg