Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Berry Bushes/Plants

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm looking to plant some berry produces around the house for my daughter. Looking for suggestions on where to purchase, how to plant and maintain strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and tayberries if anyone has every messed with them.

Thanks in advance!

Buckmaster

Portage
This past Spring I planted a 5x10 raised bed of strawberries. I think they produced 2 berries last summer eaten by the rabbits. Fencing went up after that and straw went down over the bed this fall. My kids should have lots of fun next June.

Huckleberry Finn

Strawberries are easy, just plant a bunch of them in a raised bed or raised row. Planting on plastic is real nice but then you have water a lot to keep them from frying. Or the traditional straw between or along the rows. The crop can be frost and weather sensitive.

Raspberries can be a lot of work but once they take (2 years I'd say), they are easy to keep going.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Strawberries are easy. Blueberries sucked. Too much work for a shitty berry that needs a tsp of sugar per berry. Lol

I will stick with strawberries and black berries.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I planted a blackberry bush this year. I think we got 4 or 5 berries but I guess after a few years they get a big root system and take off. We'll see. I'd like to try strawberries too.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I planted 2 raspberry plants 2 years ago. Got a few picked the past spring. They should produce good this season.

We have a couple blue berry bushes that we planted years ago and never did a thing to them and they produce every year. Plenty to make pies and all. Only problem is birds will take care of them if you aren't watching and ready to pick as soon as they're ripe. Think Blackbeard got a couple bushes from a local home improvement store down there that are producing for him too.