Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Texas to Ohio hunting

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Welp! I got to spend a lot of time at the farm, and man it was great to be back in SE OHIO!

Here are some takeaways from my hunting
1. Saw a good number of deer
2. Most of the deer around me are nocturnal or only moved daybreak/sundown
3. Had 1 or 2 shooters on cams, but I know there are more around. Only ran a few cams.
4. Doe numbers seem to be up this year for me.

Some background on my farm
1. 65 acres
2. Surrounded by all private property
3. I have 5 acres of food plots. (beans, clovers, oats, brassicas)
4. 2 of the neighbors are 800 acres of clear cut that is 4 years old(nasty thicket) The other is a 1000+ acre family farm. Not hunted real hard, hear guns blast a bit during gun season.

Basically my overall takeaway is my place is almost an ideal situation, and the deer numbers still seem a bit down. The most does I see together is about 6. I know guys are killing does but not that heavily, I have killed 2 does only in 5 years! I am just shocked how many good pockets of deer Ohio holds, but still to the point I decided not to harvest a deer unless it was a great buck. I just don't feel the numbers are there. I also love to see a lot of deer! Makes hunting more fun.

I hope you all had a fun bow/gun season. I am blessed that I will get to hunt right after XMAS for several days. I hate to have to rely on corn but most likely I will be hunting 50+ yards off a feeder or bait pile. Hoping that this will give me a chance at harvesting one of my hitlist bucks.

Feel free to give advice, tips feedback!

Sincerely,

Albert

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like your farm is an ideal spot to hunt Albert! The clear cut area will provide your deer great security to get some age to them so they'll have a better chance to reach their potential. It's also a plus to have that much surrounding land having little hunting pressure but enough to get them on their feet some.

Good luck on your next hunting trip!

Last edited:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Thanks everyone!

Well it is far from a paradise and I guess that is my point. It should be a perfect spot or damn near perfect. However, Ohio numbers are just plain down.

I see some good deer but not like I should! I do know the Amish (1 mile away) all moved out. They sold their gas/oil rights, and moved back to PA. They had nuisance tags for a .5 acre pumpkin patch. I am sure that hurt the numbers every summer.

Overall it was a good trip, but it was straight hard hunting, and the theory that a 160in deer is behind every tree in Ohio.......just aint true! Im trying to find a solid 130! haha

Thanks for reading!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
My farm is on a hilltop and my neighbors are like minded raising deer and turkeys

thats good to have! I used to live in Athens, not too far from Vinton line for a few years for school and then after the fact as well!

Mooosie

I was lucky enough to have a friend who let me hunt his land in Morgan county for 30 years. Thing was it is very rugged, all straight up or straight down with streams that would flood with just a little shower. Now I have this hilltop farm that has several ravines that make good runways and cover but the rest is gently rolling and this 70 year old body can walk it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I was lucky enough to have a friend who let me hunt his land in Morgan county for 30 years. Thing was it is very rugged, all straight up or straight down with streams that would flood with just a little shower. Now I have this hilltop farm that has several ravines that make good runways and cover but the rest is gently rolling and this 70 year old body can walk it.

hear you on that! Our place is in noble, 40 minutes from WV. So it is fairly rugged! Still love it with all I have!

Mooosie

Oh absolutely anyone me especially with a place of their own to hunt and pass on to the kids and grandkids is blessed