Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shelter Wood furnace ??

Well how good or bad are they ?

I burn wood for 90%+ of my heat
My old Luxaire wood furnace ....installed in my house in the early 60's ....err broke last week
Well , the door did

Yes I found a used door , but the price was $$$$ and to fix a 50 year old furnace IMO not a good idea

So I was able to get this furnace in a few days , so I bought it

I spent a lot of deer gun season removing the old furnace and installing the new one
The old furnace fire box was wider than the basement door , so I had to cut it up to remove it

The new furnace heats the house a lot faster LOL
But .....That was not how I planned on spending gun season

So are the Shelter wood furnaces at least decent?

John

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have been checking out an add on wood furnace for my place too john. I need to cut my bills and I have access to a boat load of wood. It may be on my spring list of things to do.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
quick search didn't turn up much info - but the fact that it's done and your house heats up faster ought to be good for something :smiley_coolpeace:
and gun season or not - there's never a good time between October and March for the furnace to be replaced
It's always something isn't it?

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
ive got a hot blast that we heat with my house stays about 75 -78 a little hot for my liking but the wife loves it. have not ran my furnace in 3 years, i just have a problem with keeping it burning long enough throughout the day while were at work. i think next year im gonna get an outdoor burner to heat the garage and the house. less mess inside the house with smoke and all the wood coming into the house.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was doing research on outside wood furnaces 14 yrs. ago. But my son convinced me I had no business using a chainsaw that much with my medical problems. That's when I went to the corn stove. Couldn't be much happier.