Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1st pistol deer kill

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well done! Congratulations on the handgun kill!

and Welcome to the site!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good job and welcome to Too world.
No need to worry about the 44 mag. used on deer. I've taken 22 deer with the 44 mag. and 1 with a 45LC. All with cast bullets and never recovered a bullet.

Last edited:

Canoecarpkiller

Very impressive ! Welcome to TOOville. That's quite a setup you have. I'm thinking this is the first handgun kill posted this year ?

Yes first deer hangin kill ever. Got it on second day. Didn't see anything first day. I was soooo excited. Thanks everyone!! I really want to do it again next year. Also never thought I would but I think I'd like to give bowhuntung a try next year as well:)

Canoecarpkiller,
Welcome to The Ohio Outdoors and Congratulations on an excellent handgun kill. :smiley_blink:

I shot my first handgun deer last year and I'm addicted.

What type/weight of bullet were you using?
I used a 240gr. SWC (hard cast), last year, but switched to a 240gr. JHP this year.

Bowhunter57

Canoecarpkiller

Canoecarpkiller,
Welcome to The Ohio Outdoors and Congratulations on an excellent handgun kill. :smiley_blink:

I shot my first handgun deer last year and I'm addicted.

What type/weight of bullet were you using?
I used a 240gr. SWC (hard cast), last year, but switched to a 240gr. JHP this year.

Bowhunter57

It was actually just some plain jane 240 grain PMC hollow points. I was worried about the performance before hand, but they functioned perfectly. It was a double lung shot and a thumb sized hole all the way through. Thanks again everyone!! I've watched my own video twenty times lol.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Congrats. Nice trigger control.

Don't know if I would hunt the stand if you let me though. Lol. I never trust home-made jobs unless I do it myself.

Buckmaster

Portage
Congratulations! I've taken about a half dozen handgun deer over the years. There is no better feeling of empowerment when pulling back that hammer in which I'm sure you felt. Glad you got to share your feel good moment. Nice shooting and nice GoPro.

Canoecarpkiller

Congratulations! I've taken about a half dozen handgun deer over the years. There is no better feeling of empowerment when pulling back that hammer in which I'm sure you felt. Glad you got to share your feel good moment. Nice shooting and nice GoPro.

Funny you say that about pulling the hammer back. It was an awesome moment!