Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Hunter

Ohioguy

I am running out of time but recently purchased a 45-70 and would not mind filling up the freezer this year. That being said I am 26 and not ever taken the hunter safety course. Can I legally hunt on my fathers land without a license and/or not take the safety course? If I can still make it out this year what do I need to do to remain legal? Do i make my own tag after getting a deer as well? Thanks for your help and I am obviously new to the forum so hello to all!

Ohioguy

I feel very comfortable and proficient with my gun safety ans shooting skills. I own many firearms and have shot many more being raised with guns and safety around them. That being said would you still recomend the course? I believe I can hunt on my fathers land without a license correct?

Welcome Ohioguy! I believe you are correct that 1 you don't need a license, that it falls under the landowner clause, and 2 with that you don't HAVE to take a hunter's safety course. Definitely something you should plan to do before next year though!! Sure it's a lot of common sense stuff but you owe it to yourself and your family to be as safe as possible and it isn't all just about shooting a gun either.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I second Outdoorsfellar's comment.... Never hunted and wanting too fill the freezer throws up a caution light too me....

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
You'll shoot your eye out!

Just kidding. If you decide to go out just wear orange, be careful, be sure of your target and what is beyond your target and be safe. Respect the property lines and if you take a shot, make sure it's a good one or don't take it at all. Within your comfortable range, deer not running or turned away, etc. Don't be that guy that should have taken the class but decides not to and goes out and does something stupid.

Get familiar with the Ohio regulations and there is a section about tagging deer for landowners. You may not need to purchase a license or tag but all the other laws will apply to you.

Ohioguy

Thank you everyone for your reply, I will plan on taking the hunter safety course as that cant be a bad thing obviously. Good luck to those still out and about still in season!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
If you have any kids, nieces, nephews, buddies kids.... that would like to take the course, take them with you. You get to do the course and legally get a hunting license, plus you are introducing a youngster to it.

The safety course covers a lot more than just gun safety. It's actually very educational.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ohio landowner kids can hunt with no hunting license or deer tag. Yes you must make your own Temporary tag. Go to ODNR website and there is a tag you can print out.
Grand kids of the landowner can't hunt without a license or deer tag and that's just stupid. Sure doesn't promote future hunting.

Hunter safety courses I believe can be done on line now. Check into it as I would recommend for everyone.