Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Daughter-in-law

Lundy

Well, we got our first test of the new legal .357 MAX rifle late yesterday afternoon.

My daughter-in-law shot a small 8 point at 127 yards with a well placed shot right behind the shoulder and he went about 30 yds and piled up. There was an entry and exit hole and the lungs were no more. I was impressed with her shot and the results. This gun is extremely accurate. I purchased this gun just for this purpose. She loves that lack of recoil, I love it when a plan comes together.

I AM SICK OF ALL OF THIS FRIGGIN RAIN!!!!

Lundy

I'm glad we are better at killing a deer or two than taking pictures, the pics we took suck

Lundy

Nice job, what is the difference between the 357 mag and max?

A bunch in ballistics and energy, I would not hunt with a .357 personally. The .357 max is basically a .357 that is a longer case. You can easily push a 180 gr bullet at over 2000 FPS with very little recoil. It is very flat shooting out to around 160 yards and carries plenty of energy to kill any deer easily at range. The lungs on this deer were just liquefied, thus that short run after the shot.

You purchase an H&R in .357 Mag and have a gun smith bore it ($80)for the longer case. The gun is then capable od shooting 38 special, .357 mag and .357 max. There is little to no factory loaded .357 max ammo available anymore. So you need to buy the components and load them. I purchased two used .357 max Handi rifles this year at around $300 each with some brass and bullets.

They are awesome shooting little guns, the accuracy is amazing

Lundy

Very cool Lundy, I may pick your brain more about this later.

If you want to meet up and see it and shoot it you are welcome to anytime.

Warning: If you shoot it you will immediately start your search to find one.:smiley_clap:

Lundy

He was a young one but she gets the green light on anything she wants to take and she loves the deer meat, especially the summer sausage we have made at Wood Rd in Athens

Mike T was at Wood road last night when we took in her deer, he aged it at 2-1/2

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Congrats to her! Great shot!

I don't see a hole in the deer though, must have scared it to death...I'm only kidding.

My last deer with a 12ga didn't have a visible entry or exit and when I walked up on it I couldn't see it and thought to myself, the shot must have surprised the heck out of the deer and gave him a heart attack.