Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NEOhunter's marathon buck

NEOhunter

1202141603-00.jpg

I have first start off by saying this was a long long day but so worth it. There were so many little stories that will be remembered with this deer and the day.
It started off with myself, my brother in law, and a buddy with a plan to sit till 10 then do some small drives. We didn't see anything so we start to do a drive and we hear 3 shots then a pause and 2 more. My buddy and walk toward him and he says I saw 2 deer, 1 went one way and the other was down in front of us. It was a 5 pointer. We start going slow toward the direction of the other deer. I see it laying down so I begin to get as close as I can. It stands up and I take 2 shots. We start to follow a blood trail and we loose it. This is about 10 o'clock. We back out and wait for a few hours and get some help. We position ourselves and find the blood trail again and 3 guys are walking it towards the other 2 of us with guns. they get to a corner and still see blood but not a deer from their spot. I start walking towards them and see it laying down and I thought it was dead. I start yelling to them I found it and then it stands up and starts to run. I got 2 shots off and my buddy got 3. We see him run to a thick patch of bedding. We split back up and hope to find it laying in the thick stuff, I hear yelling so I thought they found it. I wait a few minutes and hear something coming through the woods, it's the buck walking right toward me. It turns right and I shoot 2 but don't see it or hear crash as it goes into more brush. I wasn't sure if I hit it or not so a group goes off to the left and they tell me to circle back. I turn the corner and see it laying in the thicket.

It's not a monster by any means but my biggest so far and am happy. 8 points total
DSC01720.jpgDSC01721.jpg

Not the best pictures the ones on the phone won't load.

NEOhunter

thanks for the congrats guys.
It feels like I got so much pressure off my back now. I've hunted hard this year and had only seen 1 deer so far. I feel like I've learned a lot from you guys and this sight and it helped in the harvesting of this deer. We decided to back out and give it time and I told the guys that came to help that I think it might be laying down by water since it's wounded. And that's where we tracked it too when we jumped him.
I'm happy I feel I can focus more now on helping my brother get his first one this Saturday. And still have hopes of getting the wife one with the crossbow when she feels ready.
Thanks again guys I love this sight. I have so much more to learn but the learning curve has been advanced from this sight and the wealth of knowledge people have.