Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Squib Load

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I would like to know everything on this subject, since it happened yesterday. At this point, I don't care if I sell my 10/22, and never shoot a gun again.

Thanks.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
A squib load is basically a bullet that doesn't have enough pressure to push it out of the barrel. It will make a quiet "pop" sound. It's very dangerous if it goes un noticed because it can obstruct the barrel. The most common reason this happens is someone is new to reloading and the wrong amount a powder is used. There are many reason this can happen. Even faulty bullets from the manufacture.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
If it happened in you 10/22 it wasn't dangerous. Any time you shoot a gun and it doesn't sound right just stop and check for a lodged bullet in the barrel.
If you had a squib round and shot another round on a 22LR it'll probably just push both bullets out of the barrel and leave a bulged barrel. That's called a ringed bulged barrel. Normally is causes no real problem either in safety or accuracy.
IMHO so just carry on.

Now in a centerfire firearm it makes a difference but normally the effect is the same a in a 22LR.

A squib (light) load is totally different than a dangerous double load in a centerfire.

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I've only shot the .22 a few times. It jams often and I was told to try different ammo, which I have not done, as I haven't had time to mess with it and have only shot it on 2 different occasions.

My son was sighting it in yesterday. He came in the house and said when he shot, he heard a faint pop and was sure the round didn't fire correctly. Sure enough, the bullet was at the end of the barrel. He was talking about squib loads, which I've never heard of.

I put the gun up and won't let him shoot it again. I want to pitch that ammo (American Eagle) and maybe try a different ammo before it is ever shot again, but frankly, that scared the shit out of me, as I wouldn't have known what that pop meant and am sure I would have fired the gun again, not knowing that such a thing could happen.

Since this ammo seems to jam the gun (I'm assuming) and now this, is it safe to shoot with different ammo?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Your son did everything correctly and you should be proud of his actions.
Just removed the lodged bullet and try different ammo. Me I would shoot the same ammo because of it happening again is next to zero.
Notify the ammo maker and they will make it right with you with new ammo as they don't want to hear this happening and will want to inspect the ammo. It's a win-win deal. Good luck.
The rifle is totally safe to shoot once the lodged bullet is removed.

I've only shot the .22 a few times. It jams often and I was told to try different ammo, which I have not done, as I haven't had time to mess with it and have only shot it on 2 different occasions.

My son was sighting it in yesterday. He came in the house and said when he shot, he heard a faint pop and was sure the round didn't fire correctly. Sure enough, the bullet was at the end of the barrel. He was talking about squib loads, which I've never heard of.

I put the gun up and won't let him shoot it again. I want to pitch that ammo (American Eagle) and maybe try a different ammo before it is ever shot again, but frankly, that scared the shit out of me, as I wouldn't have known what that pop meant and am sure I would have fired the gun again, not knowing that such a thing could happen.

Since this ammo seems to jam the gun (I'm assuming) and now this, is it safe to shoot with different ammo?

clyde the pointer

I would inspect that bore carefully with a light and clean that thing too. There are some good videos on detail stripping. That is usually a reliable firearm. Your son did very well to stop shooting and inform you of the difficulty. .22 ammo can be dirty.....

FredT

SE Ohio
Your son did everything correctly and you should be proud of his actions.
Notify the ammo maker and they will make it right with you with new ammo as they don't want to hear this happening and will want to inspect the ammo. It's a win-win deal. Good luck.
The rifle is totally safe to shoot once the lodged bullet is removed.

This is what Winchester did for me.

This ammo was blowing the rims right off of the case. More than 3 times in a 333 count box. Did not shoot them all. Called Winchester who sent out a mailer for the box and remaining rounds. Then they sent me 2 boxes of the same stuff with a different Lot number. Worked for me.