Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smooth bore trouble

PSE13

Shelby
What might help with a smooth bore shotgun barrel ? We have tried multiple ammo brands but it never shoots the same! It's my dad's gun so any help would be greatly appreciated!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Make sure the take down nut is tight. My Rem 1100 has shot good for the last 34 yrs. with a smoothbore slug barrel.

PSE13

Shelby
What do you mean by take down nut? I have never seen a smooth bore do what his does. It seemed like no matter what way we moved the sights it always hit in the same too places.

PSE13

Shelby
Its a smooth bore slug barrel. As far as sled if your talking about a solid rest then no he is free handing it which we always do.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not to question his shooting skills, but eliminating human error goes a long way toward determining what needs done when sighting in a gun.

PSE13

Shelby
No were using rifled slugs. He is going too make sure everything is tight. I told him about trying a rest. He has just always free handed it and has always been dead nuts. No scope either.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Not to question his shooting skills, but eliminating human error goes a long way toward determining what needs done when sighting in a gun.

True. In most cases, you just need to eliminate by isolating all aspects of the shot. Its not to question the shooter but more help resolve the problem.

What is the make/model?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Exactly. Not to question his ability but what worked last year may not work for him this year sighting in. Just saying.

Not questioning his ability, but sighting in should always be done with a solid rest. When possible a rest should be used when hunting TOO.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
No were using rifled slugs. He is going too make sure everything is tight. I told him about trying a rest. He has just always free handed it and has always been dead nuts. No scope either.

I would think using rifled slugs out of a smooth bore would cause some issues. For one the bullet has wings to catch the rifling in a barrel to spin. With a smooth bore you don't have that and the bullet doesn't get the initial spin from the barrel. When that bullet leaves the barrel it just wobbles and has no consistency at all. With that smooth barrel I would go back to the old pumpkin ball style slug. Still might have some inconsistency because that's just the nature of the beast with smooth bore guns but probably not as bad as your getting now. That's just my thoughts on the thing. IDK lol.

Now that he has the rifled barrel he should be able to use the rifled slugs just fine. Just need to find a slug that flies the best. I always hated shooting slugs just because it gets expensive quick trying to find one that works the best. The slugs that worked the best for me was the Copper Solids but that was years ago and at the time they was still expensive at $8.00 a box but I think they are close to $20 for a box now lol. I also never worried about 3" slugs and just went with the 2-3/4" slugs. Even tried some of the low recoil slugs that did ok. Just need to try a few different brands and see what the gun likes and sometimes that's not what WE like lol.