Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

WV rifle season.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Last Sunday the FIL, nephew and I headed to WV for the first three days of their buck rifle season. The FIL has hunted there for 33 years. The camp is in Wirt county about 30 min south of Parkersburg.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417101630.582495.jpg

Travis and I headed out Monday morning and got setup on a ridge top saddle where the top 1/3 of the ridge was planted in pines 10 years ago. We sat on the downwind side of the ridge where the pines met the hardwoods. 15 minutes later this monster WV buck came ambling out of the pines at 50 yards. Travis raised his TC rifle in .243 and heart shot him. The buck did a big mule kick and off he went to the bottom of the damn hollow. after going superman off a rock face cliff he came to rest 20 foot below in the creek.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417102118.981638.jpg
He took his orange jacket off for the pic as the camera was having a hard time focusing.

The evening found us overlooking a bowl where pines again skirted the top edge all the way around. The wind was swirling something awful in there but it wasn't the 40mph gusts like up on top of the ridge. For the most part we were out of the wind and I knew the deer would be looking for the same. Still the wind was swirling bad. I took a tactic from the ole Fred bear and made a small indian fire.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417102408.141877.jpg

I could hear some rustling behind me and looked over my shoulder. A spike was standing not 8 yards behind me eating acorns. I turned far as I could and put my rifle over my left shoulder. Holding the gun almost sideways gangsta style with the butt of the rifle on my bicep I found him in the scope. By now he was looking right at me.

A 30-06 head shot at 8 yards tends to remove antlers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417102652.876240.jpg

All in all it was a great hunt. We walked those hills for miles and miles enjoying the scenery.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417102705.976453.jpg

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I lived in Greenbrier County for many years. Those pictures make me home sick.

Sounds like a great time!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Congrats on a great hunt in tough conditions. We were also out....in Tyler county on our 22 acres and public land going 5 for 6 on bucks, with me being the dummy looking for something "special". Always a good time over there though.