Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

45-70 ammo

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Time away from me and now I have to load some 45-70 ammo for next week. Not sure what the hell I was thinking but in my mind deer gun season was week after next and not next Monday. My nephew asked me today and it dawned on me.
I had ordered some Hornady leveraction plastic tip 325 gr. bullets for my Marlin 45-70 and the wife picked them up today from the Dist. It should be a simple matter to load up some for sight in and hunting.
I haven't shot this Marlin lever action since 1990 when I went bear hunting in Sask. I didn't get a bear but I used it for crop control permits on deer and had a problem with the Hornady bullets as they blew up on impact. At 50 yds. there was a 4" entrance wound but no exit wound. The heart was laying loose inside the chest cavity. Looked like a bomb went off. I was sorta glad I didn't shoot a bear.
These plastic tip designed from leveraction should be great. I shoot the 40 caliber same bullet in my ML and it's taken 2 out of 2 deer so far. It gives a great wound channel.

clyde the pointer

I saw some factory loads of leverlution that looked nice. 25 gr of 2400 behind a 300 gr soft point shot well and didn't kick too badly. I have some 405 gr cast lead that ought to be good however have not loaded any yet. I have had great luck with those red plastic tips on a ML. Good luck.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I set my Dillon 550 press up today to load the 45-70 rounds for next week gun season.
I loaded 20 to sight in then a few more. But I only need one right?

My custom Marlin 1895 in 45-70. The barrel was shorten 2" and the magazine tube was length for one extra round. Plus it had a magnum Pacmyer recoil pad installed. I bought the rifle this way about 25 yrs. ago. Took it bear hunting in Sask. and used it on deer crop damage permits here in Ohio. Haven't shot it since 1990. It's going to be fun using it for deer with the change in the laws.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I ran into what I call as a design flaw on these Hornady leveraction bullets. The factory canalure is about .100 too far up on the bullet. In order to get the maximum OAL (over-all-length) of 2.550 I have to seat the bullet deeper on the ogive taperd part of the bullet. That's way pass the factory canalure.
If these shoot OK I'll just trim the cases shorter to crimp in the factory canalure. That'll be for next year. I'll report later.

I just looked at your pic
IMO you might have trouble with the bullet pushing in under recoil
That can cause pressure jumps

That is why I use the 300 gr HP Hornady bullet
The crimp grove is set up for full length brass
Hornady has short brass for all cal. that they load the Poly tip for lever guns

Their brass is nice
But sorting out the short Hornady cases is a PITA

John

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I thought of that to. But I can't move the bullet and it's a compressed load so I don't see the bullet setting back. I'm sighting in on Friday so I'll know the outcome. If there's bullet movement I'll just trim several cases.

Their brass is nice

John

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did a Google search and the damn cases for the Hornady Lever Evolution are .050 shorter. Now why in the hell doesn't Hornady put that statement in the box of bullets only? That's just poor marketing. I'm going to check the box to make sure then fire off a email to Hornady for not doing so!
Simple matter I'll just trim 20 cases today on my Lyman case trimmer I put a cordless drill on.

John thanks for the heads up.

Their brass is nice

John

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I sighted in today 2" high at 50 yds. which should be almost dead on at 100 yds.
I put 2 loaded rounds in the magazine and shot 6 rounds and checked for set back. There was only one round that set back .001. So nothing to be concerned about.
However I checked with the company I do R&D work for and they had 8 Hornady short cases. So I loaded those up for hunting. Hell I only need one round right? After hunting I'll trim 50 cases or so to the proper length and that will set me up for hunting and scope sighting in the future.
All my future shooting will be with cast bullets.

50 yd. target. FB turned the picture. Shots are high left.

Last edited: