Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 2014 buck

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My quest for a nice buck with a bow has been long, hard, and full of ups and downs. I've only been bowhunting for 3 years. In these 3 years I've had opportunities at nice bucks every year and I either missed, or like last year I shot a 140" in the shoulder and never found him. This year started off no different. I told people I have the curse of the big buck. I can kill does with a bow all day long, but couldn't seem to make it happen with a nice buck. Last Saturday I had a nice 8, probably 125-130" come running down the hill and stop 30 yards from me offering me a broadside shot. I gave him a haircut right over his back. I was damn near at an all time low. Then on Sunday I had a decent 8 come in but a 50 yard shot was just out of my comfort zone. Later that day I had a really nice, tall 8 come sneak in behind me as I was sitting on my ass in my climber. By the time I got turned around he was out of range. I've been hunting hard this season and never gave up. I took a better job last month but now I'm on afternoons. So on Saturdays I'd usually go all day on 2-3 hours of sleep. Yesterday was no different. I told my buddy to meet me at the house at 5:15 and we'd smoke up, that would give me more motivation to get up. So after smoking up he headed to my land to hunt and I went to the in laws where I've done most of my hunting this year. I got in my climber and was 20 ft up by 6:15. A little bit after first light I notice a doe and two yearlings over in the neighbors field. They were acting very paranoid and after a while it was clear that it wasn't a buck making them act funny. They bolted for the thicket and I saw a yote hot on their trail. I started making the mouse noises to call him in. As I was doing that I look ahead and here comes a 4 point heading right for me. He passes by at 20 yards so I continue watching him. I'm standing up at this point watching him browse on twigs 60 yards behind me and downwind. A few minutes later I see a real nice buck pop up over the little hill and the 4 point wandered off into the alfalfa field. I stood there hoping that he wouldn't follow the little guys path and he didn't. He disappeared over the little hill and I couldn't find him for a few minutes so I grunted a couple times. Then I noticed a doe back where I last saw the buck, 5 seconds later the buck is hot on her ass and she starts heading right for me. Now mind you, these deer were downwind of me the whole time but I made sure I smoked up good. She continues straight for me on a trail that would give me a 30 yard shot. As they get to my ten O clock I draw back, of course that's when the doe stops and so does the buck. Then he looks up at me and I thought it was over. I held my draw for at least 30 seconds but it felt like forever. Then the doe continues moving and so does the buck. When he got broadside and into a shooting lane I bleated at him really loud and he stopped. That's when I let the fmj fly. Unfortunately I hit him in the spine and had to to shoot him again. But I immediately started fist pumping and called my buddy who hunts with me out there. After I got down and made sure he was dead I walked back up to the house and waited on my buddy who was at my land. We walked back down, I field dressed him and we drug him the 500 yards back up to the house, loaded him in the truck and headed home. I'm still on cloud 9 and I hope this means that the big buck curse is over for good! I want to thank all you guys for telling me to hang in there and I'd like to thank Brock for the scent smoker, I don't think I would of killed this buck without it!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416766219612.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416766219612.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 66
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416766234932.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416766234932.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1416766249268.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416766249268.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 58

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
And here's my new everyday wear wedding band, it has bucks on it and the wife got it from cabelas. Yesterday was the first time I wore it hunting!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416767769691.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416767769691.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 83

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Awesome story and congrats again buddy! I know the feeling of the big buck curse and I'm sure it feels great to finally get one. Hopefully I will know that feeling soon TOO.

Well done!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You worked hard for it. Congrats on a well deserved buck. Was wondering if that was your wedding ring on the tine.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great read and nice job Chad! You stuck with it and got it done with taking a very nice buck to boot!!! Enjoy this moment and let it all soak in! If someone could put that great feeling after taking a nice deer in a bottle and sell it they'd be a gazillionaire....lol
Congrats again Chad!