Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Eagle seed soybeans

rsmith

Well I just got approved for my Monsanto Technology/ stewardship agreement license and I'm looking into eagle seeds forage soybeans. I am either going to get the Large Lad or Big Fellow mix for some nice early season attractant, than I am going to broadcast some either brassica, or a forage oat blend so I can have a late season food source as well. Has anyone had any experience with RR soybeans or could recommend a good brand/type of them. I heard a lot are just all leaf and stem and very little pods. Can anyone recommend a brand/type that produces good pods along with great forage?

rsmith

https://www.agcelerate.com, select grower, make a profile, full out all the stuff. You need a farm location/ planting location to get approved, so if you're planting it at just a piece of property make up a name and use the address of it, say it is your farm/business when asked. Than once you create your profile click on the sign new agreement form, click the Monsanto one, than when asked what you are select authorized rep, manager, something else, or other. Than wait a about 12 hours and than bingo, approved!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Planted 5 acres of eagle RR managers mix this spring and last spring. Those beans are awesome. If you plant a couple acres or more, no need to worry about an extra late season food source... There'll be plenty of beans left for the late season. They hit em hard when it gets really cold.

rsmith

Planted 5 acres of eagle RR managers mix this spring and last spring. Those beans are awesome. If you plant a couple acres or more, no need to worry about an extra late season food source... There'll be plenty of beans left for the late season. They hit em hard when it gets really cold.

I'm only planting about 1.25 acres total of beans so I need a late season but I was looking into that mix as well because it has everything. Do you happen to remember how much it was per acre?

Grant Woods always talks about Eagle Brand for his plantings over on growingdeer.tv

I love watching that show, he's actually the reason I decided to persue trying to plant these beans. I didn't know since we are in a different climate than him if there were different beans I should plant here either

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm only planting about 1.25 acres total of beans so I need a late season but I was looking into that mix as well because it has everything. Do you happen to remember how much it was per acre?

I love watching that show, he's actually the reason I decided to persue trying to plant these beans. I didn't know since we are in a different climate than him if there were different beans I should plant here either
If broadcasting you wanna go with probably 70# per acre. Each 50# bag is around 90 bucks I think. Shit ain't cheap that's for sho.

rsmith

If broadcasting you wanna go with probably 70# per acre. Each 50# bag is around 90 bucks I think. Shit ain't cheap that's for sho.

I will be broadcasting it, and dang that's a little pricey but I think it will be well worth the money

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It would be a waste of money here. Deer around here barely touch beans after they leaves are gone. It is a rarity for me to see deer feeding on beans late season. But those Eagle beans are the shit!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It would be a waste of money here. Deer around here barely touch beans after they leaves are gone. It is a rarity for me to see deer feeding on beans late season. But those Eagle beans are the shit!
I always thought the same thing, but really, how often do you see STANDING soybeans during the late season? Here's a pic of standing eagle beans less than 24 hrs after a fresh 3" of snow... These deer walked right past 2 standing corn fields to get to these...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416450987381.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416450987381.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 170

rsmith

I always thought the same thing, but really, how often do you see STANDING soybeans during the late season? Here's a pic of standing eagle beans less than 24 hrs after a fresh 3" of snow... These deer walked right past 2 standing corn fields to get to these...

Dang! I was wondering the same if the standing beans would appeal to them but after observing a soybean field about 15 miles up the road with standing beans swarmed with deer that they may not be a bad idea because no one really by me plants soybeans so these could appeal to them a lot

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
There was a bean field left standing during that harsh winter last year next to one of my properties. I've never seen so many deer and turkey at one given time. I would say 75+ deer and a hundred turkey. That was the very last day of bow season last year.

Fields of beans up in Michigan after the leaves fall off deer will use them still but not nearly like other crops. As winter gets closer they then turn the feed bag on for standing beans. Can't imagine it being much different down in Ohio.